Mean Girls phone scene
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions

My Top 5 Feel-Good Rom Com Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I have always been a sucker for good iconic chick flicks. I partially have my mom to thank for this obsession because ever since I was a little girl, I can distinctly remember watching early 2000’s movies with her on repeat whenever we had the time. Even to this day, I still find myself going back to these classic movies whenever I need some cheering up. I hope these movies bring you as much happiness and nostalgia as they do for me. Here are my top 5 feel-good movies:

13 Going on 30 

This movie has by far got to be one of my favorites of all time! If you are looking for a film to brighten up your day, this is the one. Everything about this movie screams early 2000’s. Not only are the music and costumes amazing, but the characters are also fun to watch. 

Mean Girls 

If I had to describe this movie in one word it would be…iconic! This movie is a mixture of so many amazing things that I would not even know where to begin. All I will tell you is that if you have yet to see this iconic piece of work, I promise you will not regret it. WATCH IT! WATCH IT! WATCH IT!

A Cinderella Story 

I know what you’re thinking, “Another Cinderella movie? Don’t we have enough of those?” You’re absolutely right! We have so many versions of the Cinderella movie that people get confused on which title is what movie. However, this Cinderella story is different. Not only because of the gorgeous Chad Michael Murray himself, which in my opinion is reason enough to watch this movie, but also because the main character gets to live out my diner girl dreams.  

She’s the Man 

If you’re looking to watch a funny yet romantic movie, this is undoubtedly the one. The whole concept of the movie is hilarious, so seeing the story play out will for sure brighten your mood. Watching young Channing Tatum will not hurt to watch, of course.

Pitch Perfect 

I think we can all agree that this Pitch Perfect (2012) movie is definitely the best of them all. Trust me when I say that this movie will not fail to make you laugh. The cringe behavior and the unique personalities of each character will for sure put a smile on your face. I know we can not stand to watch when scenes are cringy to us, but the lighthearted feel that this movie has is for sure worth watching. 

These are some of my all-time favorite feel-good movies that will change my mood for the better. It is comforting to know that I will always have these great movies, and many others, to watch. I hope you can also take comfort in these movie suggestions, and if you have already seen them, this is your reminder to get some great snacks and plan a movie night with friends.

Cindy Gonzalez

UC Irvine '25

Cindy is a second year at the University of California Irvine pursuing a major in English and a minor in Literary Journalism. When she is not studying, she likes to watch 2000s tv shows, drink matcha, make yummy foods, get glammed up, explore OC, or watch the sunset with some good food.