This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Hello, my name is Rehana and I recently finished my extremely short, first year of college. I moved out of my dorm this past weekend and began my online classes for spring quarter this week. I will write another blog post of what I learned and experienced during my freshman year and my quarantine life during spring quarter. For right now, I want to share with you a summary of my hopes and prayers in these difficult times. 

This article is going to be a little messy, but that is precisely how I am feeling and thinking at this time in my life right now. I am going to jump into this and state that I really hope that COVID-19 is completely gone. I know that the world, specifically healthcare and the economy, will change entirely after this pandemic. I hope the virus becomes a wake-up call to all the people in the world and learn what the human race needs. 

In America, I hope that our healthcare is improved and healthcare and service workers get the respect and support they deserve. I pray that families find financial stability and that workers can get back to their careers and jobs. I pray that my people of Asian descent do not experience racism or xenophobia ever again (and to anyone of that matter). To the Asians who did experience any form of harassment, I pray that you heal and find support from people who love and care for you. I hope the world can come to terms that viruses do not infect people based on race, gender, religion etc. 

To all the people quarantined, especially kids and young students, I hope you are on top of all your online classes and keeping yourself productive and healthy. I pray for the kids who live in unstable homes or with a lack of resources; I see you, and you will get through this. I have been in your position before. 

I hope everyone is showing their support to friends and family through video chats, especially people affected by canceled weddings, funerals, birthday parties, proms, graduations and so much more. So many people are in pain and loss right now. I am filled with rage with the universe, or a higher being, for these conditions towards vulnerable people right now. I pray that everyone finds some sort of peace and comfort during this historical event. What will I tell my kids in 10-15 years from now? What will change in daily activities of civilian life in the next year?

On the other hand, I am privileged enough to be cooped up in my room and focus on school work and my well-being. Even though I had to spend my spring break inside, I know I am doing my part in preventing the spread of the virus. I am disappointed in the young people who are not practicing social distancing, especially the spring breakers at Miami and other vacation spots this past month. Their selfishness makes me feel so disgusted that many people are careless of other peoples’ well-being. 

I am rightfully upset that my academic and professional plans this spring and summer are changed and most likely canceled. It makes me feel like a failure that I worked extremely hard all year to get to a place with no clarity for the near future. However, I hope that this experience teaches me the right lessons that will influence me to make fulfilling decisions in the future. 

I have learned the value of time outside and in-person interaction. Simple things like eating at a restaurant, or going to the movies or an amusement park, is so precious to me now. I miss giving hugs to my friends and studying together at the library. I never gave a proper ‘good-bye’ to my friends before I moved out and I do not know when I’ll see them again. I know the few who care for me and that is all I really need.

I find myself feeling guilty for watching my favorite tv shows and movies and just spending my time being unproductive. I am learning that many people are feeling the same way and I have to be okay with it. On the bright side, the memes and the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game are good distractions to pass the time. 

Stay safe everybody, and make sure to take care of yourself physically, mentally, spiritually and socially (but via FaceTime). We will get through this together!

Rehana is pursuing double degrees in Film & Media and Ethnic Studies with an interest in screenwriting, creative non-fiction, and oral histories. A proud Capricorn, she enjoys spending her time daydreaming about flaky pastries, baby otters and Studio Ghibli films.