This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

With spring in full swing and summer quickly approaching, you may find yourself asking, “How do I change up my spring look without buying yet another pastel, floral printed sundress?” Well, I recently saw on shopruche.com that monochromatic color outfits are on trend for spring. Here are my tips on how to rock a monochromatic color palette.

Here is an outfit in a very popular springtime color this year, coral. When wearing one main color, it is important to pay attention to the texture and shades. I paired a very thin, almost see through top with a skirt in a fun pattern. Choose the core pieces such as the top and skirt in a lighter or darker shade and then contrast those through the accessories. I selected a deeper, almost red coral clutch, shoes, and a ring. Pull the look together by adding a coral structured blazer that is darker than the core pieces but lighter than the accessories. This look would be perfect for either work or an internship.

With the mint colored outfit, I chose to play with textures again. Everything in this outfit has a different texture and a slightly different shade.  I once again went with a sheer top, but this time with polka dots add a little something extra. Pair this with denim shorts in a darker mint color and embellished jellies in a lighter color. Here I chose a cross-stitched satchel and large chunky statement rings to add more depth and detail. Remember, when wearing one color, detail is key. Grab your sunglasses and this outfit is perfect for a day at school or a casual day date.

If you want to choose a monochromatic dress and play with accessories of the same color scheme the lavender look demonstrates how. Do not pair the dress with any statement jewelry for it will become too casual and too gaudy. Instead opt for simple jewelry such as this drop necklace and these lavender and gold bangle bracelets. Shoes with extra detail such as this fun print and a clutch of a deeper purple color bring this look together. Another important “accessory” in dressing monochromatic is nail polish. An almost-plum colored nail polish will be perfect for this look. This look is perfect for any formal event you have planned.

Playing with textures again, in the blush look, I paired a very full and lacey skirt paired with more of a chunky and knitted top both in different shades. I picked out a purse of medium size in a neutral blush color. Blush bags are my absolute favorite because they look so clean yet elegant. For this look, I chose to pair it with a floral statement necklace and suede pumps to explore other textures. This look can be worn to class but still look the part for a late afternoon interview.

The key to playing with monochrome is to mix textures, shades and choose the right accessories. Another helpful hint is to play with your make-up too. Instead of choosing a coral lipstick for the coral look, opt for a darker contrasting color. Also, have fun trying new things—remember, a full-length mirror is a girl’s best friend when it comes to putting together an outfit.

(All images made with http://www.polyvore.com)

Stacy Ikeda is a 4th year Psychology major at University of California Irvine.Her favorite past times would have to be shopping, taking long strolls along the beach and writing for HerCampus. 
...