Kelsey Lien: Ice Cream Enthusiast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

UCI’s very own Kelsey Lien, a third year Economics major and Public health minor, is the winner of Baskin-Robbins’ 31 Second Annual Online Favorite Flavor Creation Contest! Her creation, “Nutty Cream Cheese Brownie,” won her the grand prize of $1,000 and an all expense paid trip to Boston, MA to visit the owners of Dunkin’ Donuts and Baskin-Robbins at the Dunkin’ Brands World Headquarters. Not only did she win the grand prize, she also won a year’s worth of free ice cream for being a top ten finalist.

The online contest gave people the chance to create their own signature flavor by mixing and matching ingredients and flavors. Kelsey’s winning flavor, “Nutty Cream Cheese Brownie” is a combination of chocolate fudge ice cream swirled with a cream cheese ribbon, walnuts, and fudge brownie pieces.

When Kelsey entered the contest, she didn’t realize it was even a contest until she received a call telling her she was a top ten finalist. After that, she definitely had her hopes set on winning. She was inspired to create a flavor because she’s always had a love for baking and an interest in new food ideas.  

On her trip, Kelsey was given the chance to spend the day in Baskin-Robbins’ research test kitchen bringing her flavor idea to life. She also received a personal tour of the top-secret research kitchen from one of the executive chefs, and gained knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes of large food companies. After getting to explore the city of Boston, Kelsey says it has turned into one of her favorite places that she’s ever traveled.

Kelsey plans on someday working in the business side of the food industry, so being able to visit the headquarters of a company like Baskin-Robbins was a perfect chance for her to gain insider knowledge from professionals in the industry. “It would be my dream to one day go back and work for Baskin Robbins,” says Kelsey.

On winning, Kelsey explains, “I was excited and overwhelmed at the same time because I never pictured myself winning a national contest. I also found out I won the day before my birthday, so it was definitely the best birthday present I have ever gotten.”

Kelsey’s Nutty Cream Cheese Brownie will be the Flavor of the Month in all Baskin-Robbins stores this upcoming November, and she recommends everyone to try a scoop. I know I will!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.