Kate’s Kitchen: Protein Peanut Butter Bites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I am all in favor of no-hassle recipes that don’t require a dedicated trip to the grocery store. Therefore, I can promise you that this is one of them as I made these at 11:00 pm by grabbing whatever I had on hand and tossing them together. What that also means is that the ingredients in this recipe can easily be exchanged to change the flavors of these bites. However, the necessary basics are a nut butter, a protein powder, and oats. On the other hand, what I like to call the ”yum factor” ingredient, because it isn’t necessary to the protein bite’s consistency, adds the kick we all love (for example, I chose chocolate chips, of course). By substituting peanut butter with an almond butter/honey mixture, and chocolate chips with dried cranberries, you’ve created an equally delicious bite.

I chose to make protein bites instead of bars because I always feel like a protein bar is too much for me. I get tired of the taste and the texture and end up preferring to eat eggs after a workout instead. Therefore, I made these bites to be the perfect snack size. Plus, they are so reminiscent of cookies, and they actually taste good.

Ingredients:

(This recipe yields 9 bites)  

½ Cup Peanut Butter (can be substituted with almond butter/honey)

¼ Cup Vanilla Protein Powder

¼ Cup Oats

½ Cup Chocolate Chips

Directions:

1. In a bowl, mix together the peanut butter and the protein powder. If you want your protein bites to be a bit sweeter, feel free to add in some honey or another natural sweetener.

2. Place your oats in a food processor or blender and let whirl for about five seconds. Aim for the oats to be almost a powder but still retaining some different sized pieces.

3. Add the blended oats into the bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. With clean hands, scoop out small amounts of the mixture (about an inch and a half in diameter) and roll between your palms to create bite-sized balls.

5. Place on a tray, cover, and refrigerate until ready to eat.

Photographer and writer studying art and literary journalism at UCI. I like food, fashion and photos.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.