“I’m a Broke College Student.” What’s New?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Let’s be real. While our college education is a great investment, some way, somehow, the entire college experience can cut a large wedge, if not take the entire cake, of savings out of our bank accounts. The list of fees and expenses is never-ending. First comes thousands in tuition, then hundreds in fees, books, living expenses, groceries, utility bills, etc. But before you pass out, let me tell you that there are ways around many of the extra quarterly and daily expenses. Over the past year, I have compiled a list of couple helpful hacks that can mitigate extra spending and build up bank. And surprisingly, this can be done without putting in a lot of effort.

Picture Source: https://pinfuriating.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/tumblr_office-ideclarebankruptcy.gif

1. Free food is a real thing. College meal deals are all around you if you look for them. Sign up for apps that come with free Blaze pizza, play games where you can win free chips  and guac at Chipotle, donate blood to receive free Chick-fil-A, or check in on Yelp for three free ounces of frozen yogurt (my personal favorite). Interested in attending on-campus discussion and presentations? Many times, research meetings and presentations will come with a full course meal. I can testify for the legitimacy of this delicious deal.

2. Make sure you and your roommates work out a spreadsheet with all the apartment expenses and utility bills. This can help you track variations in your utility bills each month, and help you estimate and budget your spending.

3. Don’t blow your paycheck every month. Control extraneous spending and save a portion, say at least $30, of your paycheck for emergencies or larger expenses in the future.You never know when a car accident or expensive opportunity might come up.

4. If you have a part time job and pay for rent, it can’t hurt to sign up for a credit card. Not only can you pay for the expenses you already have to pay, but you can earn cashback by doing so. Just remember, DO pay your bill on time!

5. Download apps that track your expenses. Nowadays there are so many apps that can help college students budget their spending. Some of which include Goodbudget, Mint, Spending Tracker, and Expense Keep.

6. Be thrifty! I have found some of my nicest pieces of clothing (J Crew, Banana Republic, Paige) from thrift stores. From casual tees to business professional blazers, your local thrift store can carry a variety of attire to suit your taste. Side note* Be sure to hit up the Goodwills in the rich side of town. You’re bound to get the most bang for your buck.

7. Save money on textbooks. One of the many struggles of being a quarter system student is having to purchase expensive textbooks every three months. Instead of shopping at the school bookstore, try finding your textbooks through online textbook exchange groups, buying old books, searching for online PDF’s, or borrowing textbooks on reserve at the library.

8. Fill out college surveys or enter contests that offer free incentives: movies, gift cards, food, you name it. You never know just what you’ll end up winning.

9. Try to use your debit card for most purchases. This can help you keep track of your daily expenses, so you don’t have to wonder how all your cash disappeared.

10. Look into alternative sources of income: part time jobs, paid internships, brand ambassador positions, tutoring positions, helping others set up websites, or even selling your old clothes and textbooks online.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)