How to Stay Healthy during the “Cold War”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The other day I was sitting in class next to a friend and she saw me blowing my nose. When I was done, she jokingly screeched, “Ewww you’re sick! Get away from me!” Halfway through the lecture, I noticed a lot of coughing and sneezing from my three hundred plus person lecture. At that point, I realized a war had begun: the “cold war,” of course. It happens this time every year, and everyone seems to be miserable while trying to cope with the never-ending midterms and papers. The crazy weather pattern probably hasn’t helped much either—it was nearly 80 degrees a couple of weeks ago, and then it rained, and now it’s just plain chilly. But you don’t have to be a casualty of this war—there is hope. Whether you are currently infected or hoping to take some preventative measures, follow these healthy tips and you’ll be worry free!

Exercise
If you’re trying to prevent a weakened immune system, exercise is great choice. It speeds up your heart, allowing it to pump more blood throughout your body, and builds up your immune system. Try to get at least 15-30 minutes of exercise per day. Most students get that amount by power walking across campus to get to class on time or by chasing one of the campus shuttles. However, if you can, try to challenge yourself to go to the ARC and increase your normal physical activity. And it doesn’t hurt that you’ll be burning some excess calories!

Eat Healthy
Since we don’t have our parents nagging us about what or what not to eat, it is up to us as smart college students to determine what to put in our mouths. As tempting as sweets and fast food are, try to avoid them. The last thing your body needs when its sick is junk food. Instead, make sure you are getting healthy servings of fruits and vegetables. Moreover, fruit salads are delicious and salads are great to customize. Also, make sure to stock up on soup (I know it’s a bit cliche), because it soothes a sore throat and keeps you hydrated. Carry a water bottle around to make sure you drink plenty of water.

Reduce Stress
I know the quarter system is stressful but sometimes the best thing that you can do is take a break from school and RELAX! The more stress you put on your body, the less time you have to take care of yourself. If you are feeling overwhelmed with school, call up a friend for lunch. Take a bubble bath, watch your favorite TV show, or spend some time reading articles on Her Campus! Do anything to get your mind off of school (or anything else that stresses you out!) for an hour or two.

Use a Sleeve when Coughing
Germs spread. And one of the ways that germs spread is from coughing/sneezing into your hands, and then touching objects that other people touch. Now, I am not saying that you should not cover your coughs, but simply use your sleeve instead. That way, the germs won’t transfer from surface to surface, and you’ll reduce the chances of spreading (or contracting) an illness. If you are a little apprehensive about this idea, then check out this hilarious YouTube clip

Vitamin C Supplements
Sometimes it is hard to get our daily intake of Vitamin C, and peeling oranges on campus can get messy. A solution to the lack of Vitamin C in your diet is Vitamin C Supplements. One of my personal favorites is Emergen-C, a flavored fizzy drink mix. To use, simply dissolve the supplement in a 4-6 oz glass of water and then drink it. The great thing is that it comes in various flavors such as strawberry, orange, tangerine, tropical, and raspberry. Personally, I like the orange one because its taste is similar to orange soda. You can find Emergen-C at Trader Joe’s at the University Center or any other grocery store.

Get Some Sleep
Try to get a full night’s rest each night. I know it can be hard sometimes, but sleep is very, very important to the body. If you wake up feeling tired then chances are you are going to be tired for the rest of the day, which is even worse if you’re trying to get over a cold or the flu. If you can’t sleep for the full night then take naps. Rest your body and it will thank you.

The Obvious Tip: Stay Away from Sick People
As I mentioned earlier, sick people are everywhere on campus! In large lecture halls, avoid sitting next to those who look like they are coughing or sniffling. If your best friend or significant other is sick, make a pact not to hug or kiss until they are feeling a bit better (or have received antibiotics!) With the way they’re probably feeling, they’ll understand why you don’t want to catch their cold.

Being sick in college is never an easy task. But if you follow a few of these simply tips, it will help to shorten your illness or prevent you from catching a cold in the first place. Good luck collegiettestm!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.