How to Register for the Best Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

You have probably checked UCI’s “Schedule of Classes” for the upcoming Fall Quarter and felt overwhelmed with the thought of picking three to four classes that will make up the 10 weeks of your life Fall Quarter. Many thoughts may have run through your mind as you scrolled through the “Schedule of Classes.” Do you concentrate on General Ed? Or do you work on classes towards your major/minor? Will you graduate on time if you take 12 units this quarter? Will all of your classes be filled by the time of your registration?

Picking classes can be hard, whether or not you are a freshman. Classes can become full, or it may feel like they are no interesting classes to pick from. Have no fear! Her Campus has some tips for you.

Picking Classes

Look at your school/major requirements
Probably the most important aspect of picking classes is picking classes that will count towards your major. You won’t sign up for all engineering classes if your major is psychology (unless you really like engineering… then maybe you should think about switching majors). If you need help deciding which classes to pick, then log on to DegreeWorks. DegreeWorks is great because it tells you exactly what you need to take to fulfil your degree’s requirements. With DegreeWorks, you should have a General Catalogue to read the descriptions of the courses. It helps to know exactly what your getting yourself into, because sometimes the course title can leave you confuse or mislead.

If looking at DegreeWorks is too overwhelming for you, then make an appointment with your academic counselor. You can find the number to call on your school’s website. Seeing your counselor is great, because they tell you exactly what you need to take. In addition, they will go over the “Schedule of Classes” with you if you are having too much trouble navigating it. Plus, you leave you with a organized sheet with classes that will fulfill your degree requirements.

Ratemyprofessors.com
As you are browsing through “Schedule of Classes,” you will find professor’s names. If you have never heard of any of these professors, then it’s scary to register for their class. You can pick professors with the best sounding name or you can check out ratemyprofessors.com. ratemyprofessors.com is a great resource to use for picking professors. For those of you who do not know about this website, ratemyprofessors.com is a website where student anonymously rate…you guessed it–professors. Think of it as EEE evaluations for the public.

Ratemyprofessors.com ratings are based on a five point scale on the categories of overall quality,helpfulness, clarity and easiness. In addition to these ratings, students can write comments about the professors. And for those who like looking at an attractive face for 50 minutes or 90 minutes, there is a “hotness” scale. If a professor has a “chili pepper,” then that means they are “hot.”

When looking at ratemyprofessors.com, you should look at the overall rating. If a professor has a blue face by their name then they are probably not the best professor to take. But remember to read those comments to see why this professor has a low rating. Sometimes people give low ratings but no comments. If they do leave a comment, read the comment. Even if a professor has a high rating, read the comments to see why the professor is rated to high. Sometimes people will write “Easiest class ever,” but does that mean that you never go to class? Of course not. Do not take a stranger’s opinions to heart.

Word of Mouth
The friends that you make in class have probably taken classes that you have not taken yet. Ask them what classes they recommend to take and why. It is great to get first-hand opinions about classes. Ask them about the workload, the professor and the exams. If the class sparks your interest, then try to enroll it.

Another way of finding about classes is looking at people around you during class. If you see someone with an interesting book, ask them what class that is from. Or if you overhear someone talking about the “worst class ever” then maybe that class should not be on top of your list to take.

Talking to people about classes is useful, because they have taken the class or are currently taking the class. And in the process, you might make a new friend.

Sit-in
Some courses are offered year long so perhaps the class that you are iffy on taking is being offered this quarter. If you have the time (or courage), then try to sit in at a lecture before you register for the class. By sitting in, you get the firsthand experience on what the class is like. While sitting in lecture, ask yourself the following:  “Can I understand the professor?,” “Do the students seem interested?,” “Is the material interesting?,” “Can I see myself taking this class?”

If you cannot attend a lecture, try to find an old syllabus on EEE to see what the class constitutes.

Look at alternative classes
Whenever you are planning your schedule, think of alternative classes to take in case you cannot get into the class that you want. This way, you will not be freaking out to find one more classes during your registration time. Remember that you need to be enrolled in 12 units to be considered a full-time student at UCI. And, who knows, maybe your alternative class will be your favorite class during Fall Quarter.

What to do if you are left with the not-so-perfect Schedule
If your registration time is on the last day at the eleventh hour, then there probably will not be the best classes left. It sucks! You may have picked the best professors from ratemyprofessors.com and heard about two other great classes from your study buddy, but have come to find that “Schedule of Classes” is filled with “Wait-list” and “FULL.” Suddenly “Schedule of Classes” sounds more like “This going to be a long ten weeks with Professor Thick Accent, No Curve, Lots of Reading.” Don’t fret, here are some tips to do when you are stuck in that situation.

Wait-list
If the class that you really want is wait-listed, then get on the wait-list as soon as possible. Even if they are 30 people ahead of you, get on the wait-list. I have gotten into classes where I was number 40 on the wait-list. When you are on the wait-list, be patient because before you know it, you’ll be enrolled in the class.

Open enrollment
Check open enrollment, when it opens up. During open enrollment, more spaces are available for classes due to students not paying their fees on time. And don’t forget to pay your own fees or someone won’t be taking your spot in lecture.

Make the best of it
If you are stuck in a “bad” class, then make the best of it. First off, show up to lecture. At lecture, pay attention. If you come to lecture with a bad attitude, then your grade and coursework will reflect upon that.

Try to make friends in that class to form study groups (if anything, at leas you will have friends to suffer with you).

Don’t fall back in class. If you catch yourself falling behind, then go to the teacher assistant’s or professor’s office hours. This way you will get to know the professor or the teacher assistant will get to know you.

Lastly, remember college is what you make of it. Truth be told, you can still get worse than an “A” in the ‘easiest class ever’, or get an “A” in the ‘worst/hardest class ever.’ Just remember to work hard and have a positive attitude. With that, you can achieve in any class.

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.