Life > Academics

Five UCI Study Spots That Will Make You Lock In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

We all have that problem of sitting down to do work but not actually being able to focus. With the fall quarter wrapping up, I have done my fair share of exploring UCI’s most infamous study spots. While I am sure that I still have many more spots to discover, here are my top 5 in no particular order where I get the most work done. 

1. Sixth Floor of the Science Library

In particular, the computer lab space. I’m not sure what it is about the clacky keyboards in there, but it makes doing work ten times more satisfying. I like to open up my laptop and the large computer screen to create a double monitor effect. The 6th floor is a designated quiet floor, so if you are looking for a spot with minimal noise and dim, cozy lighting, then this is the area for you. 

1. Study Rooms

Study rooms are perfect for when you want to study with a group or even just by yourself. You get your own space and a full whiteboard to litter with formulas. Since you only have the space for a limited time, there is even more pressure to be productive and get work done. If possible, do your best to book a study room in advance because they are in popular demand!

1. Croul Hall Lobby

What I think makes a great study spot is a place that does not feel isolating. I love Croul Hall because of all the windows the space has to offer. Its location is in the heart of the physical sciences quad, so there is plenty of opportunity to people watch as a little study break. The building does not get too many visitors either, so there usually is no worry about lacking table space or loud noises. 

1. Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building (ISEB)

Again, this is another space with lots of windows. Construction for this building was completed in 2020, making it one of the newest buildings on campus, evident in its modern style. The lobby has plenty of table space, along with an outside terrace located on the 4th floor. I really enjoy how brightly lit each floor is because, while warm lighting is cozy, it can also make it feel like nap time.   

1. Aldrich Park

Going to UCI means great weather year-round. I personally find so much peace in being outside rather than being cooped up in a room all day so getting some sunlight is a must for me. Many students regularly walk through Aldrich Park to get to class, so it is not surprising that the grassy fields are overlooked when it comes to finding a place to study. It is so easy to grab a picnic blanket, some snacks, and pick any spot out in the grass. However, I do recommend choosing a spot closer to buildings, as wifi can be spotty. 

The next time your desk feels too close to your bed or you just need a change of scenery, make sure to refer back to this list. Happy studying!

Gia Marbella

UC Irvine '27

Gia Marbella is a first year environmental science and policy major at UC Irvine. Outside of class you can find her either watching movies, reading romance, or on a walk with coffee in her hand.