This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Comfort movies are films that spark joy. They create a sense of optimism that is therapeutic and provide a much-needed escape from reality. Most of my favorite comfort movies come from the early 2000s. Growing up in this era, I’d sit in front of my tv for hours and watch my favorite films on repeat until I could recite the iconic lines. Back then, much of the lingo, fashion choices, and humor were heavily impacted by these movies. Looking back years later, I realized how some of my comfort movies have shaped my personality and become a nostalgic part of my life. Today in college, many of these movies still make me laugh and smile as if I haven’t seen them hundreds of times. These movies were there for me from when I was a clueless kid to the stressed-out student I am today. Therefore, here are a few of my comfort movies that spark my inner child.

1)Freaky Friday (2003)

I stand by the fact that Lindsay Lohan was one of the best actresses during the early 2000s. She was the it-girl. I live for the teenage angst, chunky highlights, and chokers she embodied in this movie. In Freaky Friday, Anna (Lindsay Lohan) and her mom, Tess (Jamie Lee Curtis), wake up in each other’s bodies. Watching the chaos that unfolds is incredibly entertaining. Everyone can relate to disagreeing with their parents, but the bonding that they have at the end reminds us to love each other regardless. One of my favorite scenes was Anna’s band “Pink Slip” performing. I loved it so much that it sent me into a short-lived punk rock phase.

2)The Princess Diaries 2: The Royal Engagement (2004)

As much as I love the first movie, the sequel to The Princess Diaries has a special place in my heart. Watching Mia, played by Anne Hathaway, navigate life as the princess of Genovia and having to find a husband in 30 days was so enjoyable. She was awkward, clumsy, and quirky, yet so likable. This is the geeky girl representation that I needed. This movie always looked like so much fun, and it set my standards for sleepovers really high. Also, I’m a sucker for an enemies-to-lovers trope, and I adored the forbidden relationship between Mia and Nicholas, played by Chris Pine, who I have to mention is incredibly charming. Despite this, this movie isn’t solely about finding a man. It’s about coming into your power and staying true to yourself.

3) The Cheetah Girls 2 (2006)

This is another sequel that, dare I say, I prefer better than the original. I grew up with Disney Channel original movies and tv shows. Being a Disney fan was practically my only personality trait. I won’t lie that this was one of the movies where I knew every word of the songs and even the choreography. The soundtrack of this movie was elite. I was a huge Cheetah Girl fan, and, in my delusional mind, I was the fifth member. The Cheetah Girls walked so other girl groups could run. This movie was entertaining and empowering. It showed the importance of sisterhood and always pursuing your dreams. To this day, this movie is the sole reason why I want to go to Barcelona. 

4) Spy Kids (2001)

A childhood classic — need I say more? Siblings Juni (Daryl Sabara) and Carmen (Alexa PenaVega) have to rescue their parents, who they didn’t know were retired spies. This movie has great fight scenes and the coolest gadgets that I always wanted to play with. Who wouldn’t want to try electroshock gumballs? As a kid, I was mesmerized by the special effects of this movie. They were literally fighting thumbs and insane characters. Juni and Carmen still act like typical kids with their antics and sibling banter. Despite that, this movie emphasized the importance of family and showed that kids can save the day. At the time, this lesson instilled hope and bravery.

5) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

Scott (Michael Cera) falls in love with Ramona  (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). However, to be with her he must defeat her seven evil exes. I enjoyed this movie so much when I first saw it as a kid. Scott definitely has his faults and doesn’t always treat people the way they deserve to be treated. For example, he didn’t break up with his girlfriend, Knives, after falling for Ramona — Knives definitely deserved better. Throughout this movie, I was living for the drama that was often manifested in the form of cool fight scenes and musical performances. I found the fantasy aesthetic and video game elements incorporated in this movie to be so creative and fun to watch. 

In conclusion, if you haven’t watched these movies, I encourage you to. It’s important to have comfort movies to allow us to release stress and provide us with familiarity. The world is full of challenges and hardships, so lean into those movies to provide you with much-needed relief. No matter what your comfort films may be, hold on to them tight. Then when everything in the world feels overwhelming, sit back, relax, and press play to allow your troubles to fade away.

Kayla Atkinson

UC Irvine '23

Hello everyone! My name is Kayla Atkinson and I am psychology and sociology double major. In my free time, I enjoy listening to music, binging Netflix and reading a good book. I hope you enjoy my work!