First Impression of Animal Crossing Pocket Camp from a Fan of the Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I’m a huge fan of the Animal Crossing series. I got my first Nintendo DS when I was in 5th grade, and I’ve been playing Animal Crossing pretty much ever since. The first one I ever played was Wild World, and I’ve played every main Animal Crossing that’s come out since then.

The biggest change here is that the game that originally started on the Nintendo DS is now on mobile devices, which means a major change in the game controls. The game has always been on a device with a touch screen, but the movements used to have to be so much more precise due to the usage of a stylus.

Initially, the game confused me with the new controls because I’m so used to the DS version, but they’re actually easier to use than on the Nintendo DS. This version is mostly just tapping, so it isn’t nearly as difficult to use tools as in previous games. The decision to put it on mobile devices also greatly increases the accessibility of the game, as you don’t have to buy a hundred-something dollar device just to play games on.

I’ve also noticed a major change in the focus of the game. Previous iterations led players to be focused on making the best house possible, and occasionally convincing residents not to move out. This version is very focused on making friends, and building your campsite with the purpose of attracting the animals in the game. I also like the feature of adding friends, because it’s now much easier to play with people you know.

I am a bit iffy on the fact that in-game purchases, but game developers have to make money somehow, and if there aren’t ads, in-game purchases are pretty much the only option. I don’t know that I’ll ever make an in-game purchase, but I see it as a necessary evil in order for the game to be free to play.

Overall, its super fun, and definitely worth trying, especially if you’ve never played Animal Crossing before.

Screenshot from the game that I took: