EAP Cordoba, Spain: No matter what country you’re in finals week still sucks.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Four months turned into 1 week in a blink. The end of May is known to be one of the most activity-filled and fun weeks in Córdoba. It is also finals time, how ironic and torturous. My last day of school came and went, and I didn’t even realize it until after it already ended!  This last and final week is going to be over before I know it. In between studying and taking advantage of my last few weeks of socially acceptable napping, I’ve really started to walk around and enjoy all the parks in the city. Córdoba has so much history and character to it, it’s nice to just take time to soak it all in before I leave. We also went on our final field trip (sadly) to Los Patios, to a celebration of people’s homes that are literally FILLED with gorgeous flowers and lots of sun. Busses of Spaniards come from all over to shuffle themselves through tiny walkways and compacted terraces to get a glimpse at the gorgeous floral displays. They even have maps JUST for the patios, with three different routes and about 15 patios to look at in each of them (and that’s just the older vintage patios). Some hosts even give out postcards, posters (I got one!), and wine.

As far as the weather goes, spring is definitely here (my allergies hate me). Córdoba has such extreme weather changes. It is SO hot here now! I had to make a makeshift construction paper fan yesterday just to keep myself going. And the pools here are in limited supply, (not to mention they don’t open until June or July, just in time for me to leave). Next week Córdoba hosts their feria, which is essentially their fair, next weekend. The only thing standing in the way is 4 exams. Greeeat. It’s so hard to study when there are so many other fun things to do. Then again isn’t that how it always goes? At least I will get to see one last slice of Spanish culture before I leave on a jet plane back to the United States, Mexican food, In-N-Out, and ICEES. I contemplated doing an entire blog just on food I missed, but I realized that would not help my situation at all (from one foodie to another, the pizza here is just NOT the same).

Also, on a more random note, I made the Córdoba newspaper! Woo! A couple of friends and I were enjoying Las Cruces, which is basically a celebration/competition where groups create gorgeous giant floral crosses, and set up bars around them (Spain: where religion and fiesta fist pump together), and compete for the best one (I wonder if judging is before or after vino?). Ironically, you can’t really even see the cross in the picture, but I had to post it for mom and paps back home.

I’ll let you know how my examenes went in my next blog! Until then, tell everyone and their mom to vote for Córdoba as the next Culture Capital of Europe 2016! Here’s the link to make your voting experience easier: http://www.candidatecities.com/. (And here’s another link to a website telling you what it’s all about, and why Córdoba’s got it goin on:http://www.cordoba2016.es/en/candidatura/ique-es-la-capital-europea-de-la-cultura)

“Witty closing line,”

Katie