Collegiettes Kitchen: Pumpkin Cheesecake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.
There is no greater feeling in the world than being home for Thanksgiving. The
warmth of your family and the aroma of delicious foods surround you on that very day.
With the turkey cooking in the oven and mashed potatoes being prepared, Thanksgiving
is not complete without its most traditional dessert—the pumpkin pie.
The big feast on the day of Thanksgiving is amazing, but very, very filling! By
the time dessert comes around, I push myself to finish my slice of pumpkin pie. The only
problem is that the thick and heavy texture of the pie doesn’t usually leave me coming
back for seconds…until last weekend. At an early Thanksgiving dinner, I was introduced,
for the very first time, to an alternate and much lighter version of pumpkin pie. To my
surprise, it was a combination of pumpkin pie and cheesecake! Before I knew it, I was on
my third slice of pumpkin cheesecake and still had room for more! The light and fluffy
texture of this cheesecake did not fill me up and still contained the very delicious taste
of pumpkin! This Thanksgiving, add a twist to the traditional pumpkin pie and bake the
pumpkin cheesecake instead following this simple recipe!

For the crust:
• 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
• 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 stick melted salted butter

3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Add melted
butter. Press it down flat into a 9-inch circular pan. Set aside.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, egg yolk, sour cream,
sugar and the spices. Add flour and vanilla. Beat it together until well combined.
Pour it into the crust you previously prepared. Spread it out evenly and place it in the
oven for 1 hour. Remove it from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes. Cover it with
plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

There you have it Collegiettes! An alternate dessert just as traditional as pumpkin pie, but
one that will be calling you for more than seconds!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving & don’t forget the whipped cream!

Sources:
Jessica Enriquez (originally from San Diego) is living the life as a proud Anteater at the University of California, Irvine. This literary journalism major isn't your everyday California girl. Asides from the surf and the sun, Jess can be found enjoying trips to Disneyland, quoting Mean Girls, twittering/tumbling/pinning, napping everywhere, practicing with her dance team, and participating in a variety of affiliations on campus. Jess has found a home to express her online marketing skills and graphic design talents with the Her Campus branch at UCI. This year she will serve as one of the branch's co-correspondents/presidents. Jess dreams of a career in higher education or public relations, but wherever life takes her she'll continue to lead on with heart and passion.