CALPIRG Students– Improving the World one Student at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As students, we always feel reassured knowing that someone is looking out for us and our needs, especially when it seems to happen so rarely.

UCI’s chapter of California Public Interest Research Group (CALPIRG) does exactly that. CALPIRG is a statewide, student directed and funded nonprofit that works to solve social problems. Derek Campfield, Chapter Chair of the organization, said “We work to protect consumers, protect the environment, end hunger and homelessness, and make college affordable.”

CAPRIG was founded in 1972 when students noticed numerous problems that were not being addressed by the government and has since registered over 40,000 students to vote, banned unsafe meat in public schools, and increased federal financial aid for students by 36 billion dollars, along with many other accomplishments.

Manny Rin, UCI Campus Organizer of CALPIRG Students, has recently been working along with student volunteers to get UCI students to pledge to the organization. Over 20,000 students across the state pledged to their respective campus chapters by donating $5 per quarter. Campfield says, “Through our membership drive, we now have over 3,000 UCI students who fund our chapter.”

“The ultimate goal is to get half of UCI students to take action on one our campaigns (for example, signing a petition or volunteering). We have goals to expand and organize at other campuses in the future,” according to Campfield.

He urges UCI students to help CALPIRG achieve its goals by getting involved. 

“Come help work on one of our campaigns, propose a new campaign, do a campaign action, come to a meeting, and pledge,” he says.

Learn more about CALPIRG at calpirgstudents.org

Photo source: http://ucispace.lib.uci.edu/bitstream/handle/10575/2971/HA12-06.jpg?sequ…

Tanya Raja

UC Irvine

Tanya Raja is a first-year Economics major who aspires to go to law school and eventually work in public policy. She loves to write, read, and watch "The Office" in her free time.
...