Bowie and Ballet: Why It’s Not as Weird as You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

If you’re like most, the word “ballet” likely conjures up images of pink, fluffy tutus, classical music and those classes you used to take as a kid. Maybe it’s just that thing that rich, old people see and crazy, Natalie-Portman-in-Black-Swan-type people do — or maybe it’s just a “Nutcracker” show, reserved only for the holidays. As a dance major who has been dancing ballet for most of my life, I’ve heard many of these assumptions. While they aren’t completely accurate, they’re not entirely wrong either. 

Ballet emerged from court dancing in 15th century Italy and 17th century France and has elitist, hierarchical associations that have shaped the current structure of the art form. Ballet dance is still an expensive activity to pursue as both a dancer and an audience member, thrusting it into a somewhat exclusive cultural space. With solid roots in the traditions of centuries gone by, far too often, ballet feels like something stuck in the past rather than a lively art form still present today. However, ballet can be modern, and better yet — it can even be fun.

I was struck by this thought while watching Complexions Contemporary Ballet, an NYC dance company dedicated to “reinventing dance through a groundbreaking mix of methods, styles and cultures” and one that combines multiple dance styles in their work such as ballet, contemporary, jazz and hip-hop dance. The company recently performed “STAR DUST: From Bach to Bowie,” a show that featured two dance pieces, one set to the music of Bach and the other to some of David Bowie’s greatest hits, at the Irvine Barclay Theatre on April 29. 

This performance showed a really exciting side to ballet through the way it blended multiple dance styles together. The first dance piece, entitled “Bach 25,” featured the cast of dancers in nude dancewear and flat shoes, dancing contemporary ballet technique to Bach’s music. The program was more typical to what an audience member might see in a ballet company’s contemporary repertoire, with slightly less traditional “classical” elements as a ballet like, say, “Swan Lake.” It incorporated contemporary dance, “a style of interpretive dance that embraces innovation … [it] focuses more on floor work over leg work and pointe, [and] isn’t restricted by the rules that govern traditional dance forms.” However, the piece was set to classical music and featured common aesthetic elements of ballet. 

The second piece, “STAR DUST” (described as a “Ballet Tribute to David Bowie” in the program), changed things up a bit. While still remaining in the contemporary ballet realm, the movement in this piece incorporated more elements of jazz and hip-hop such as articulation throughout the body, in particular the spine, pelvis and hips. The costumes and makeup were more colorful and expressive to match the energy of the upbeat David Bowie music that played loudly throughout. Still, the female dancers wore pointe shoes for most of the dance, as they typically would in a traditional full-length ballet.

Combining several different dance styles — ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip-hop — as well as playing around with traditional expectations for costuming and music made this performance one of the most innovative dance productions I’ve seen. It was experimental, but still ultimately had its roots in ballet dance. I couldn’t help but think about all the people that might have enjoyed a show like this, but hadn’t attended because of stereotypes about ballet. 

Full disclosure — I’m a huge fan of classical ballet works, sometimes even more so than other styles like contemporary dance. But even I can admit that it’s not always easy for the general public to get interested in them. Dance, especially classical western forms like ballet, can often feel exclusive and unapproachable for those not already knowledgeable about it. If more people knew about the variety of dance styles that exist, and the interesting ways they can be combined, like in the case of contemporary ballet, I wonder: would more people attend these kinds of shows?

The bottom line is that ballet, like all dance, is impossible to sum up completely. But if all you know is what you’ve heard about the technical roots of ballet centuries ago, you might not have a full picture of what it can be. Ballet in general, especially contemporary ballet dance, is not only for the stuffy elite — it’s for everyone. Companies like Complexions are proof of this, with fresh, creative and innovative dancing that is exciting for even those completely new to the dance world. Or just those who appreciate a good Bowie song. 

Isabella is a double dance and English major at UCI. She enjoys storytelling in its many different forms and is excited for the opportunity to share her writing with Her Campus.