The Battle of the Boba: Cha or Sharetea?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As a Newport/Irvine native, I have borne witness to the ruthless war that has ravaged the University Town Center over the past year. Cha for Tea, a local hotspot known for producing a variety of delicious bubble tea confections, reigned supreme over the shopping center. With no competitor in sight, no one questioned the power that Cha held over us, so we simply accepted Cha as our fearless ruler. However, last summer their authority was challenged by a new competitor and aggressor: Sharetea.

Thus, a power struggle commenced.

The establishment of Sharetea shook locals to their core as no one has dared to compete with Cha for Tea since its inception. However, since Sharetea first laid roots in Cha’s territory, locals and students have been divided over which boba store rules the land. The opening of Sharetea’s doors has caused Cha’s once endless lines to dwindle as many were tempted by this new, forbidden fruit. One after another, more people began to question their loyalty to their original boba ruler.

P.C.: Cha for Tea

However, in the beginning, I was one of the few devoted subjects. Cha was more than simply a drink shop to me, but a beloved meetup location and constant source of nostalgia. As the closest boba shop to my high school, I have spent countless hours over the past few years basking in its yellow glory, chatting with friends and sipping on honey green milk tea. Even now, almost two years since my high school friends and I have gone our separate ways for college, Cha remains the one constant in our lives. The minute they return home from the freezing tundra that is the East Coast, their first stop (besides grabbing a bite to eat at In-n-Out) is Cha.

Yet, despite all of the memories and history I have entrenched in Cha for Tea, I had to admit that Sharetea was alluring. With a wider range of teas and toppings, along with slightly cheaper prices and a larger cup size, I knew I had to at least try Sharetea once. Walking into the tiny store, I was very hesitant as I felt like I was betraying the part of myself who had promised to love and support Cha for as long as I lived. Nonetheless, I pushed past that pit in my gut and ordered myself a Thai milk tea with boba.

Let’s just say you can now officially call me a traitor…

P.C.: Eat with Hop

Although Cha will always have a place in my heart (as I still occasionally go whenever my friends come home to visit), to me, Sharetea now wears the boba master crown. It’s variety, tea quality, and boba texture is incomparable. Ever since that first sip, I continue to gladly throw all of my money at them.

However, not everyone has defected to Sharetea as I have. Despite Sharetea’s obvious success in stealing much of Cha’s business, there are still many loyal Cha subjects who have resisted Sharetea’s claim for the throne. While Sharetea ranks supreme during the day, the minute their doors close for the night, Cha flourishes in Sharetea’s absence. Cha’s longer store hours keeps them alive in the fight, allowing them to slowly regain ground in the stalemate that is the Battle of the Boba.

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.