This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

College students have limited cash flow leaving little room for luxury purchases. When it comes to beauty I find there is a fine line between what appears to be a good deal and what actually is. Drugstore prices seem to be rising and sometimes it’s worth it to upgrade to higher-end products. Here are a few of my favorites: 

1. MAC Studio Conceal and Correct Palette: For me, clear skin, or the appearance of it, is more important than perfectly blended eyeshadow or a shimmery highlight. I found drugstore concealers to be dry, cakey, and hard to match to my skin tone. I even struggle being matched at makeup counters where the salespeople are not trained makeup artists.  The artists at MAC are trained and can help you find your perfect match. This palette comes with a variety of colors for every need and it lasts forever.

2. Tarte Cheek Stain: Almost any blush at any price point always looks pretty, but it rarely lasts long. This cheek stain lasts all day and has a more natural finish than powder formulas. It is all natural which is a bonus, but it is a little pricey. I purchased it during a promotion that made the price $15 instead of $30, making the price the same as Revlon’s cream blush at the drugstore. 

3. Mario Badescu Drying Lotion: Logically we all know that spot treatments help aid the healing process, but it still seems to take forever. This drying lotion works almost overnight and the progress is amazing.

4. Glam Glow Tingle Exfoliate Treatment:  The jar is ridiculously slow but at our age there is no need to use this anti-aging treatment all over the face. I use it sparingly to dry up and exfoliate healing blemishes that are hanging on for dear life. The sample has lasted months by this method and I knew it was worth a purchase when I started to panic.    

And one steal!

1. Revlon Lip Butters:  This lipstick-meets-balm-meets-gloss product is perfect and it only costs a few dollars. Lip Butters are pigmented and unlike most drugstore lipsticks, they are not cakey and they add glossy shine without being goopy.  They also come in 20 shades! 

Jacqueline is Literary Journalism and Digital Art student at the University of California Irvine. She will be graduating next spring and hopes to work in fashion.
...