This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Hi, I’m Fizza. 

I’m a junior in college, and I’m an introvert (shocking, right?). How I’ve made it this far, I have no idea. But, the fact that I’ve survived this long in a swarm of extroverts in college, I think is a good sign? It’s rough out here having to be social with other students and teachers, when you really don’t have the energy to talk to anyone at the end of the day. This expectation to be social, make connections, get that letter of recommendation, or just not have friends, is so stressful. As a person who already overthinks, it makes me question if I’m doing college right even more.

I’ve come to the realization that there is no way to do college wrong (I mean unless you’re failing your classes…don’t do that). Your college experience can look completely different from someone else’s, but can be equally as fulfilling. As a bonafide introvert in college, let me walk you through my biggest tips for thriving in college: 

Join A Student Organization

You may be thinking “I thought this was tips on surviving college as an introvert!” Trust me, although this was honestly the last thing I wanted to do when I stepped into college as well, it turned out to be one of the best things I did. One of my biggest tips for joining a student organization would be to not join one that only looks good on a resume, but one that genuinely helps you make connections while also helping you remain in your bubble and makes you feel safe. When I joined Her Campus, it was during the pandemic and I was really nervous at first. The thought of meeting new people and putting myself out there by writing articles seemed like such a huge step, but it’s been almost 2 years since I joined the club and I’m so happy I took that step. I was able to find a safe space where I can step out of my comfort zone enough to make new connections and new friendships, but not feel pressured to do anything that I don’t want to do.

Always Have Headphones

I do not step foot on campus without my headphones. It is absolutely essential and will be your best friend. As an introvert, I find that I need to find something to calm my anxiety down before heading to class, and the overlapping voices as you’re walking to class definitely don’t help. Usually, listening to some serene music or a podcast that makes me laugh helps me feel my best and more comfortable in my environment. It doesn’t hurt that sometimes when you have your headphones on, the people carrying clipboards don’t approach you. But only sometimes.

Have a designated spot in the library

This could very well only be a me thing, but whenever I go to a new library or lecture hall, I panic a little bit inside because I don’t know where to sit and I don’t want to look lost. Ever since my freshman year, I’ve scouted out specific spots in the different libraries on campus that I like to study at and I only go there. The best part is I never look lost. It also doesn’t even have to be a library — you can find so many cute and peaceful places on campus that are good to study at, and no one will bother you. 

At the end of the day, the myth that you have to be extremely outgoing and social in college is completely untrue. Just be yourself. If you’re an introvert, you can have an amazing experience, while enjoying your solitude and peace. Although it is great to have alone time and do what you’re comfortable with, from time to time, I also think it’s important to step out of your comfort zone and surprise yourself. Life is about taking new risks, and what better time to do that than in college? 

P.S. If you want more tips for surviving in this world as an introvert, or just reading people’s experiences in navigating this world as an introvert, I highly recommend checking out Introvert, Dear.

Fizza Rizvi

UC Irvine '23

Fizza Rizvi is a coffee enthusiast who enjoys spending her free time reading, finding new places to eat with friends, and watching crime tv shows. She is currently pursuing her bachelors in both Psychology and Criminology, Law and Society, with the goal of raising more awareness in society about issues that heavily impact people’s lives.