90 Years of Fashion History in Films 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Fashion trends change rapidly. Clothing has been a great tool of self-expression for centuries, after the eras of it simply protecting the body and expressing authority. But one has to ask: where does such a diverse and fast-changing fashion come from? Once the fashion cycle passes, we often see the old things become trendy again. This used to be called the 20-year rule because the trend returned every 20 years, and now the loop in fashion is speeding up. Individual tastes and lifestyles are becoming more diverse today, and the cycle of fashion trends seems to be less meaningful whether it was trendy10 or 20 years ago. The thing is, fashion constantly references the past. For example, the Y2K fashion trends that are still occurring. I’d like to time travel with you through movies that have various aesthetics over the decades. These iconic movies might inspire your own fashion ideas and personal style!!

The 2000s

Mean Girls is a super classic 2000s film. All the 00s fashion items are featured by the four main “mean” girls, who act like  best friends. You’ll notice items like the Miniskirt, small purse, butterfly jewelry, juicy tracksuits, short sleeves cardigan with laced bra, cargo pants, chunky belts, and low waisted jeans, etc. You’ll see all of today’s Y2K trends in Mean Girls.

The 1990s

Clueless is a rom-com that perfectly shows the ‘90s glam to grunge styles. Padded shoulders, puffed jackets, low heel shoes, silk shirts, and turtlenecks. However, the iconic yellow plaid skirt and the knee-high stockings were the best displays of the 90s fashion in the film

The 1980s

Sing Street is my all-time favorite movie. It is a story of a high school band, and the entire movie is full of pop colors, inspired by Duran Duran. In the film, the characters

participate in composing, performing,and filming to make their music video. The music of ’80s bands,hair spray, blue eye-shadow, and kitsch costumes that flow throughout the scenes creates a punky atmosphere.

The 1970s

In Almost Famous, you’ll see ‘70s disco and country-rock fashion. Juicy details of the rock bands’ references, including The Eagles and Rolling Stones, vintage Levi’s 501s, extra-large ‘70s cuts, sheer crop tops, and the best bell-bottoms of the day, starkly showing young people armed with a free spirit at the time.

The 1960s

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is set in Hollywood in the ‘60s. The entire scene is full of the hippie style of the ‘60s in the United States. The chemistry between Leonardo Dicaprio and Brad Pitt, who play Hollywood actors and stuntmen, also adds to the spectacle. You can see flamboyant patterns reminiscent of flared jeans, jean jackets, and disco fashion by the free vibes of hippies. Also, you’ll find Margot Robbie dressed in her best ‘60s outfits.

The 1950s

Hairspray technically takes place in the early 60s, but perfectly represents the ‘50s sudden boom in economy, living, and fashion after World War II. You’ll see a huge influence of rock-n-roll and blues, with style references of Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, and Chuck Berry. The ‘50s was the time of classic ponytail and ducktail with sideburns. And, of course,the bulky poodle skirts as well.

The 1940s

In The Edge of Love, a young Keira Knightley perfectly represents a sophisticated woman in the war years. The ‘40s is the era of square-shouldered jackets with a matching skirt, featuring a mix-and-match of a neat and slim silhouette with a somewhat military feeling.

The 1930s

The Cafe Society highlights Hollywood and Beverly Hills in the ‘30s. Fashion in the ‘30s gives individuality to textures and patterns, rather than the variety of silhouettes. This is due to the popularity of long dresses that didn’t expose the body. In addition, high belted waists, frilly bows, ruffles, and buttons decorated the dress. The movie is full of aesthetics that seem to be somewhere between classical and modern.

The 1920s

The Great Gatsby shows the essence of the rich social look of the Roaring ‘20s. Since party costumes are mainly reflected, we can get a glimpse of the elite style of the ‘20s through the film. The entire movie features colorful clothes, scarves, stockings, bold and impressive geometric designs of dresses, extravagant jewelry, and completion of whole fashion with a Cloche hat.

I believe these 90 years cover all of the fashion trends all over the world. I think the transformation of styles based on the historical background shows the flexibility and charm of fashion. There were so many movies that reflected the styles of each era that it was really hard to pick one per decade. I hope the time travel through fashion with me was a fun time for you as well, and it provided more insight into the cycles of fashion the world has seen overtime

Yelin Han

UC Irvine '23

Hi all! My name is Yelin and I'm studying Art History at UCI. I love arts, fashion, animals, and exploring my food taste. Also, currently into 2000s fashion and musics.