8 Ways to Sleep Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Sleep is important, especially as college students, but sometimes it can be so hard to make time for it thanks to the papers, midterms, work, and responsibilities that are taking up our time. As students, we’d much rather study than sleep. In Sleep Revolution, Arianna Huffington combats the question we all have; is sleep important?

Spoiler alert: yes.

Here are 8 tips that Huffington suggests for better sleep. Remember that finals are coming up and passing your exams is important, but so is your wellbeing.

1.      Dark, Cool, and Quiet

It is important to sleep in an environment that is dark, cool in temperature, and silent. Huffington suggests that the key to better sleep is to keep your room temperature between 60 and 67 degrees.

2.      No to Electronics

Staying away from phones is hard for many, including me, but a good way to better your sleep is to stay away from all electronics completely 30 minutes before you plan to go to bed.

3.      Charge Your Phone Away from Your Bed

Instead, charge your phone at your desk. Huffington suggests you charge your phone away from your bed and your bedroom altogether. However, the struggle to get up for your 8 AM is hard, so charge your phone at the furthest corner of your desk. This will not only better your sleep but will force you to get up and turn off your alarm in the morning.

4.      Say NO to coffee after 2 PM

It might be the hardest thing you will have to do, but Huffington suggests that coffee after 2 PM is detrimental to good sleep.

5.      Bed = Sleep

Avoid doing your work in bed. Your bed is for sleeping not studying. Plus, don’t you just end up falling asleep while studying in your bed?

6.      Take a Bath Before Bed

Taking a bath before falling asleep will help calm your body and your mind. Try to do this at least once during exams. It will serve as a break between hard studying sessions + will keep you clean.

7.      Comfortable Clothing

Wear comfortable attire to bed, whether that is your favorite set of pajamas, an oversized shirt, or a night dress. Huffington puts it best – “If you wore it to the gym, don’t wear it to bed!”

8.      Chamomile Tea

Enjoy a cup of your favorite tea before bed BUT make sure it is caffeine free. Chamomile tea does not contain caffeine and serves to keep you calm. There is nothing better than tea before bed.

Goodnight, Anteaters!

You can purchase Sleep Revolution here.