6 Places To Visit In Orange County During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I can’t believe it’s already midterm season! I’m already looking forward to a much-needed spring break after this hectic winter quarter.

Since we all will need something relaxing and de-stressing very soon, we should all consider making plans to go outside to feel the weather changes. However, I know some of you might not want to go on a big trip during a very short, week-long break. Booking flights and Airbnbs is extra work — I personally don’t have enough energy AND money to do it.

Despite this, we still need to get some Vitamin D during this season, and Orange County is surprisingly a good place to spend your time during spring break.

Pirate Tower

The Pirate tower is one of the most beautiful spots in Orange County. It was inspired by a French castle and was built in 1926. It used to be a staircase to the beach, but today the door to the staircase is locked. During high tide, water goes almost ⅓ of the tower. You should definitely visit early in the morning, at least before the sun goes down.

Finding the entrance of the tower may be confusing, but no worries, you can follow my guide:  

Search “McAulay Place” on Google Maps 2. When you almost get there, you need street parking on Pacific Coast Highway 3. Walk all the way down to McAulay street and make a right turn. 4. Look for a staircase before “Sunset Terrace” (address of the staircase: 2705-2711 Victoria Dr, Laguna Beach, CA 92651) 5. When you see the staircase, take the stairs to get down to the beach and walk a few more seconds to the right side.

After you follow the directions, you will see Rapunzel’s castle-like tower. 

Salt Creek Beach Park

If you are looking for a place to watch the sunset, here is the best spot for it. It is a hillside park located next to Salt Creek Beach, where you can enjoy the ocean view. The park is open from 5:00 AM – 12:00 AM, and parking is $1/hour. There are public restrooms, picnic tables, and barbeque grills. You can bring your own blanket and read books or have a picnic. I know there are so many parks around the OC area, but trust me, Salt Creek Beach Park has the best view.

Address: 33333 Pacific Coast Hwy, Dana Point, CA 92629

Mission San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano is a historical landmark of Orange County. It is in the city of San Juan Capistrano, which is the oldest city in California. It was established more than 200 years ago as the 7th missionary group out of 21 missionaries across the state, and it is meaningful to visit as one of the few remaining. Tickets are sold on the website. The general admission is $14, but you can get a discount with a student ID for $9. 

Address: Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

LOS RIOS STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT

Los Rios Street Historic District is a good place to hang around after visiting Mission San Juan Capistrano. It is right next to the mission, so you’ll find the town easily as long as you get to the mission. The district is the oldest town in California and a very worthy place to visit if you like ancient vibes.

Address: 31831 Los Rios St, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

Balboa Island

Balboa Island is a man-made island. You can get there by driving, riding a bike, or even walking. If you want to feel the atmosphere of a traveling island, there is a ferry to the island. The Balboa Bar and Frozen Banana are famous desserts you can try.

Address: 206 Marine Avenue, Newport Beach, CA 92662

If you like small attractions, try taking a ferry to the Balboa Fun Zone. You can take the boat with your vehicle as well, and it’s only $2 per car and driver. Harbor Cruise would also be nice for the Spring Break plan. Check the website for more information.

Address: 600 E Bay Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Sherman Library & Gardens

Sherman Library & Gardens is a botanical garden with a historical library withmore than 15,000 books and California impressionist arts. The garden has patios, seasonal flowers, and fountains. In particular, the piano in the outdoor garden has a unique fairytale-like vibe, making it a good place to take pictures. There are various plants ranging from desert plants to tropical plants. In addition, there are rose gardens, herb gardens, and Japanese gardens, so you can enjoy various plants.

Address: 2647 East Coast Hwy, Corona Del Mar, CA 92625

Some of you may already know the places I share, and some of you may not. There are still plenty of places to spend the spring break in or near Orange County. If you would like to go a little further, Carlsbad Flower Fields, Wayfarers Chapel in Rancho Palos Verdes, or Catalina Island are also beautiful places. I hope you all have a great spring break exploring Orange County!

Yelin Han

UC Irvine '23

Hi all! My name is Yelin and I'm studying Art History at UCI. I love arts, fashion, animals, and exploring my food taste. Also, currently into 2000s fashion and musics.