5 Things You Learn During Your First College Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As my first quarter of college draws to a close, I realize that I have learned a lot more than the meaning of agency in The Iliad, or the significance of the Stanford prison experiments. Here are some general things I’ve learned this quarter about the college experience.

1. 11 a.m. is too early

Between a schedule that varies daily, club events, and spontaneous late night hang-outs with your hallmates, you probably won’t have a sleeping routine like you did in high school. You can tell yourself “I woke up at 6 AM everyday for high school, I can do it in college” all you want, but when 11 a.m. classes are a struggle, you’ll regret it.

2. You’re going to have to be more “open”

Time to face the facts: if you’re dorming, you’re going to have to share the bathroom with like, eight other girls. Yes, I also like peeing in privacy. But that’s not an option anymore. In fact, any alone time is hard to come by in college! You’re always going to be around people, whether it be your roomies, your hallmates, your club members, or your classmates, so you might have to find a way to get more comfortable around people more quickly.

3. You don’t deserve to be at college “more” than anyone else

You may have been at the top of your class, the president of two different clubs, and had a perfect SAT score in high school, but that doesn’t mean that you deserve to be in college more than anyone else. Everyone at your school earned their way to their seat. It’s not your place to judge if they deserve it or not. That doesn’t mean you can’t be proud of your accomplishments though! It just means that everyone else has their own accomplishments and they have every right to be just as proud of them.

4. Stress relief is important

You’ve heard it before, you’ll hear it again: College is a stressful time. During midterms and finals, you’re bound to feel the heat. Stress relievers are different for everyone, and you owe it yourself to find what works for you. Freshman Joey Quispe  relieves stress “by reaching out to friends and staring intently at my Bow Wow collage.”  Other possible stress relievers can be a new hobby, like learning to play an instrument. You could also do something a little mindless, like do nothing but watch Youtube videos.

5. Time management is also important

Times flies quite fast, and for the first time, you’re the only one in charge of it. Make the most of your time! Make memories, have fun, but don’t forget that college is also a time for you to find what you’re passionate about. Finding the balance between working hard and playing hard will be the key to your success. So go ahead and go on that quick Starbucks run with your roomie, but don’t forgo doing your homework either.

p.s. Don’t ever forget: you got this!

Jaimie Joo

UC Irvine

Hi! My patronus is a rainicorn and my favorite color is sparkles. UCI C/O 2018
...