BTS\'s \"Life Goes on\" music video.
BTS\'s \"Life Goes on\" music video.
Big Hit Entertainment

5 BTS Songs That Help Me Cope With My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

There’s no doubt thatbeing a full-time student and adjusting to living on my own causes a lot of stress and anxiety. I have debates with myself about whether I should prioritize my assignments or my personal needs. Sometimes I find myself in conflicting situations. Having to choose if I rather be starving all day or order take out because I do not have the time to cook myself a meal. Dealing with having my laundry piled up with two weeks worth of clothes but not having a free time to wash. Staying home all weekend inside my small studio apartment while I see everyone posting on Instagram about their fun adventures, and feeling the pressure to go out to have fun. 

All of that definitely has led me to feel depressed and irritated because getting that degree while maintaining myself in the Dean’s Honor List is my main goal that comes with its sacrifices. It’s moments like those where I rely and find a brief escape in music, namely in the K-pop group, BTS

I make my way into two amazing years being a BTS fan in March. My journey as an Army has allowed me to discover their magnificent and diverse discography. Through their music, I find the strength and motivation to continue with every obstacle that is put in my way. Their music is always there to remind me that there is nothing wrong with experiencing these emotions and I should acknowledge them rather than keep them sealed. That is why I would love to share my top 5 BTS songs that have helped me cope with my mental health and perhaps can help you guys as well! 

1. Life Goes On

Like an arrow in the blue sky another day flies away again 

On my pillow on my table 

Yeah life goes on like this again 

“Life Goes On” is the first track from BTS’ BE album which was released on November 20, 2020. If I had a dollar for every time I catch myself saying “Life Goes On,” when something doesn’t come out the way I wish, I’d be able to afford a private BTS concert. It could be from losing my apartment keys and being charged $180 to replace it or forgetting to turn in an assignment that was due a week ago. Oh well, life goes on, a small phrase, yet it holds so much weight behind it. Definitely, it’s one of my top OT7 songs that has inspired me to view life differently. 

BTS has stated in previous interviews that the production of this track was inspired by the issues brought on by the COVID-19pandemic. The magic behind music is that its meaning can be represented onto many other life circumstances. This song teaches us to be strong during our most difficult times. We must learn to live in what’s considered the “new normal.” It’s the perfect song to start and end your day with, to be reminded that no matter what happens, life will still continue with or without you.e must learn to keep up with it and not fall behind and trust that there will be better days ahead of us. 

*Translated English lyrics were provided from Doolset Lyrics through bangtan.wordpress.com*

2. Zero O’ Clock 

When the second hand and the minute hand overlap 

The world holds its breath for just a little bit 

Zero o’ clock 

And you gonna be happy 

“Zero O’ Clock” is the 13th track from BTS’ album Map of the Soul: 7 which was released on February 21, 2020. Personally, I like to call this song the cousin of “Life Goes On.” Time is the most valuable thing for humanity. We are always told to never waste it because we’ll never be able to get it back. However, we all have those days where we don’t succeed in finishing the tasks that were meant to be done that day. 

I’ll paint you a picture. Sometimes we wake up with no energy whatsoever and let the day pass by but by the end of the night you feel terrible and reflect back on what you could have done throughout the day. Then you sit there on your bed and scold yourself for failing to be productive. This song acknowledges that as humans, we all come across those issues and it’s normal to beat ourselves up for it. However, once the clock strikes midnight, our day is reset back to zero. We are given a fresh new start where we can welcome a new day and be happy. 

3. Blue and Grey 

I just wanna be happier 

Is this too a big greed?  

“Blue and Grey” is the third track from their album titled BE which was released on November 20, 2020. Originally this song was meant to be part of BTS member V’s currently unreleased mixtape, but was selected to form part of the album. This is definitely one of many of their songs that will have you in your feelings, I know it always does with me. 

The song uses the color blue to represent the emotions that are experienced during depression which can be sadness, pain, and cold. While the color grey represents the feeling of numbness, it oddly gives us a feeling of warmth. Though the lyrics of the songs contain a sorrowful, deep message, it is accompanied by an uplifting guitar rhythm to give a representation of it’s meaning. The message that is conveyed is that we will all come across a time where we feel burned out whether it be with our careers, hobbies, or any personal issues we encounter. We may overcome it for a brief or extensive period, but it can definitely come back around from time to time. Although it’s not exactly the type of things we wish to hear from a song, I believe it’s important to acknowledge the reality of depression. 

4. Moon Child

It’s okay to shed the tears 

But don’t you tear yourself 

Moonchild you shine 

When moon rise, it’s your time  

“Moon Child” is the the third track from BTS member RM’s mixtape titled Mono which was released in October 23, 2018. Although the title of my article states BTS songs, I couldn’t help but add RM’s solo onto this list. At the start of the song, RM defines that a Moonchild is someone who was destined to suffer in order to be glad. A moonchild is defined as someone who is born under the zodiac sign, Cancer. However, the interpretation of this song defines it as someone who is hypersensitive, which leads them to be easily affected by any particular thing. RM takes his creativity to another level by referencing the night as an escape from our reality. During the day, we can’t fully reveal who we truly are and the pain we are experiencing. The night allows us to thrive in our imagination since it is where the world is at peace and quiet. 

The moon is the light that allows us to shine, meaning where we are allowed to freely express all the sorrow and pain we are encountering. Although he encourages us to not be afraid and to let out the tears, he also wishes that we don’t allow them to drown us and tear us up apart. Personally, when I find myself having a mental breakdown, I always find myself playing it as a comfort. A reminder that the pain I’m experiencing is just temporary and will reward me with happiness.  

5. Intro: O!RUL8,2?

Nothing lasts forever 

You only live once so 

Live your life 

Not any another’s lives

“Intro: O!RUL8,2?” is the first title track from BTS album O!RUL82? which was released on September 11, 2013. Since it’s the intro to the album, it has a time limit of a minute and ten seconds, but it was enough time to make the message loud and clear. Now, you might start assuming that my bias is RM once you see that he’s the only one rapping in the song. The lyrics provided above are spoken by RM at the start of the song. His voice filled with perseverance and encouragement which almost sounds like we are being given a motivational speech. 

This song is a reminder that we are the only ones who have full control of our lives. Therefore,we must always take risks and never look back or regret anything. The decisions we make on our own will lead us exactly where we wish to be. If we allow others’ opinions to influence our decisions or we try to replicate living someone else’s lives, then we will never truly experience the dreams or goals we’ve set for ourselves. We will always live with the “what if” and it will torment us forever. 

I hope that after reading through this list of songs, one or all stole your heart. Let these songs be a reminder that you never walk alone. We all individually face similar battles. Never feel like you are not allowed to express any negative emotions. We are all humans after all, so we should have the freedom to experience and acknowledge what we feel. They’re all a part of the process of finding our state of euphoria.

Maria Cruz

UC Irvine '23

Hi everyone! My name is Maria. I am double majoring in English and Literary Journalism at UC Irvine. I am a proud BTS fan so you can always find me streaming their music everyday. Also, I am obsessed with coffee ice cream.