3 Ways to Destress During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As students, we are always stressed whether or not it’s exam week. Either way, we all experience anxiety at one point and need some type of activity to help us alleviate the stress. 

1. Meditation

This is a very good way to de-stress because you are in a state of relaxation with peaceful breathing in and out. Meditation helps with decreasing your metabolism, lowering blood pressure and improving your overall state of mind. Many people say that they don’t have time for this. However, I would really recommend it because will improve your mental state as well as your health. It literally only takes around 5-10 minutes to do. Just set an alarm and go into the zone. If you’re really pushed on time, 2-3 minutes is perfectly fine too.

2. Exercise

This factor is super important because when you are constantly working or focused on doing something that you don’t have enough time to exercise, your body will slowly deteriorate and the muscles that you had or never had will only get weaker. You don’t necessarily have to go to the gym to exercise because you can also exercise at home or somewhere close to home. Sometimes, you might even meet someone new and become friends with them. Running is a really good distressing activity, but anything that can lessen the stress on your mind is good.

3. Snacking

I know this sounds a bit weird, but snacking on something that you like will really help you with your stress because you’re taking a break and enjoying something that you like to eat. Doing this gives you the chance to step away from what you’re doing and simply enjoy your food; the snack and the taste of it in your mouth will also make you happier than if you were to keep working without taking a break.

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.