This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Okay, I lied. I will mention more than ten movies because I could not leave a few of them out. Halloween-themed movies are one of my favorites genres ever. I watch these films all year round, and I am sure you’ll enjoy watching them too.

The Craft

The Craft is my top recommendation for you. The film is a coming-of-age drama that every young person should watch. It has a fantastic mixture of feminism, witchcraft, good vs. evil, and classic 90’s fashion. There is a 2020 version coming out next week, which I definitely will be watching.

Midsommar

A24 is by far my favorite film and TV production company. They have produced incredible movies such as Lady Bird and The Farewell and television shows such as Euphoria and Ramy. Many of their films are great for Halloween, but Midsommar has to be one of the most thought-provoking (and creepy) movies I have ever seen by them. Florence Pugh’s acting range will surprise you, and so will the storyline.

What We Do In The Shadows 

If you like a mixture of cringe comedy and vampires, What We Do In The Shadows is for you. Taika Waititi is a creative genius with several talents up his sleeve, and this film is by far one of his best works. It’s a mockumentary so expect the weirdest storyline and the funniest writing with a hipster twist. 

Twitches

This 2005 Disney Channel Original Movie is an extremely underrated movie and an absolute gem. I watched Twitches when I was really young, but I recently rewatched it. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the movie more as a young adult than when I was a little kid. The Mowry twins are such iconic actresses, and they bring so much personality into their characters. Rewatching movies I watched as a young kid is also really healing!

The Crucible

I read “The Crucible” (the play) during my sophomore year in high school, and I loved the story. Or maybe I enjoyed it because I have a huge interest in witchcraft and the history of witches. The film does not have the fantasy attributes of typical witch movies like Hocus Pocus. “The Crucible” is a historical fiction of young girls being accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials. The lead role in the film was made for Winona Ryder.

Woman carrying pumpkin
Photo by Pexels from Pixabay
Addams Family Values

Wednesday Adams’s character development is on a whole other level in Addams Family Values. I regularly watch this film just for Christina Ricci’s iconic dialogue. Wednesday says the most relatable comments, and I feel like her lines were influenced by Gen Z humor. Note that this film was released in 1993, so you know it is a good movie when the context is still enjoyable to this day. I will not forget to mention that the rest of the film is just as impressive. 

Sweeney Todd

I really enjoy musicals, but when I watched Sweeney Todd for the first time, I was shocked — shocked in good way. Johnny Depp and Helena Boham Carter are my favorite actors, and I enjoy every one of their films. I was excited to see them in a musical together, but I did not expect the movie to be so gory. The music and storyline are enjoyable, but be aware that the visuals can get pretty gnarly.

Howl’s Moving Castle

Most Studio Ghibli films are widely loved by many, but I wanted to highlight this particular movie for the fall season. Spirited Away and Kiki’s Delivery Service are great options, but Howl’s Moving Castle is not appreciated enough. With the storyline of witchcraft, I love how each character has individual personalities that develop throughout the movie. Even though it is anime, it could get as weird as Midsommar.

Invisible Man

I wanted to include one movie on this list that is NOT of the Halloween or fantasy genre. Invisible Man is in the thriller and suspense genre, and the storyline could be based on a true story (to be clear, it’s not). It’s just that when you watch the film and see that a person creates an actual invisible suit makes me wonder if someone has made something like that in real life. These are some thoughts that come up in my mind while watching movies. Elisabeth Moss’s acting is phenomenal, and I recommend watching it with your friends. However, please be aware that this film is about domestic violence and predatory stalkers.

Casper

Last, but not least, on the list is the Casper films with Christina Ricci (Casper) and Hillary Duff (Casper Meets Wendy). Note that the two films are different in their own way. In Ricci’s film, it is about a young girl who moves into an old home and meets the friendly ghost. In Duff’s version, a young witch is in hiding at a vacation resort where she meets Casper, who is on vacation with his uncles. Both films are really heartwarming and cozy, and are two of the best in both of the actresses’ careers. 

Some of my other honorable mentions include the Corpse Bride, Practical Magic, Get Out, and Disney’s Halloweentown series. There are so many more great spooky movies out there that I have not mentioned. Again, I hope you enjoy watching them as much as I do, and please let me know if you have any recommendations for me. Happy Halloween!

a girl in a chair saying halloween is cool
The Walt Disney Company / Giphy

Rehana is pursuing double degrees in Film & Media and Ethnic Studies with an interest in screenwriting, creative non-fiction, and oral histories. A proud Capricorn, she enjoys spending her time daydreaming about flaky pastries, baby otters and Studio Ghibli films.