Your Guide To Impressing Visiting Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Here’s a shout-out to all you stay-in-the-room-all-day-to-watch-Netflix folks. You know that feeling of dread when you realize that your parents are coming—not because you don’t love them. But because you know that their visiting you means your having to get out of bed.

But more than that, a weekend with parents means a weekend spent entertaining people by taking them to places they’ve probably never been to before. No pressure.

You know what I’m talking about, you out-of-staters and southern Californians. Then, there’s that internal sense of panic when you realize that you have no idea where to take them. Because you didn’t leave your room this whole year.

So here’s your quick go-to list of 11 places to impress those beloved family members when they visit you in the Bay Area. Listed by alphabetical order for your convenience.

1. Aquarium of the Bay

Close to Fisherman’s Wharf, right at Pier 39. If you’re planning a trip to San Francisco, this is a nice stop. Enjoy connecting with other lives in the world—aside from human ones. You could grab lunch at In-N-Out or Chipotle afterwards, or any other food shop around there (trust me, there’s plenty to choose from). There’s also a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream just a little ways down! Best of all, Ghirardelli Square is hella close.

2. Asian Art Museum of San Francisco

Asian identities are diverse and numerous. Come to a place where centuries of culture, art and ideals have been collected for the world to see. Open your minds and prepare to be awe-struck.

3. Battery Spencer

This is a park that has a breath-taking view of the Golden Gate Bridge. But in my opinion, it’s the best at night (there’s also less traffic then). But be warned: It can get really windy. Welcome to San Francisco.

4. California Academy of Sciences

From African Hall’s Human Odyssey to the Morrison Planetarium to the Osher Rainforest to the Steinhart Aquarium, there’s really nothing that can go wrong with coming here. Your mind will be blown, and you will be inspired.

5. Coit Tower

If you don’t have enough time to see the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridges, just head over to the 1933 historical landmark, Coit Tower. There’s a nice observation deck that gives a 360-degree view of San Francisco. Don’t forget to admire the murals inside the base of the tower.

6. Fisherman’s Wharf

Get your fill of fresh seafood! The wait may be a bit long at times, but it’ll be worth it. Just avoid the mass of pigeons. It’s super close to Pier 39 and Ghirardelli Square—and public transportation is wonderful.

7. Ghirardelli Square

CHOCOLATE. SAMPLES. ICE CREAM. ’Nuff said.

8. Land’s End

Tip: Use public transportation. Go see the ruins of the Sutro Baths and visit the Palace of the Legion of Honor. Then, pass through the El Camino Del Mar Trail. If you’re a history nerd like I am, visit the memorial to the USS San Francisco from World War II. Overall, the view at Land’s End is just stunning.

9. Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley

I mean, you’re pretty much already there. It’s way closer than San Francisco. Climb on the DNA structure outside with no shame and enjoy the view of the bay from way up on the hill.

10. Legion of Honor

In commemoration of Californian casualties in World War I, the Legion of Honor is a beautiful museum with much history. Featuring The Thinker, The Book of Gold, and works by artists like Édouard Manet and Giovanni Paolo Panini, you really can’t miss this place.

11. Union Square

Can’t forget about the iconic hearts in San Francisco. Take a picture there with family to hang up on the wall at home. And enjoy San Francisco’s biggest shopping district.

Lastly, good luck—sometimes, family outings are a headache. But never forget, you only get moments in time once. So enjoy your trips! And appreciate time spent together.

Aurora

UC Berkeley

Student | Feminist | Idealist "To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated, or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." -Arundhati Roy
Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.