This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The TV sitcom Friends is one of the most popular and iconic shows of our time. The cast gives viewers a familial experience; by inviting us into their apartments and favorite coffee shop, it’s as though we’re also part of their crew. However, one character in particular, Rachel Green (played by Jennifer Aniston), is someone the internet’s uniquely obsessed with. From her blowouts and turtlenecks to her bubbly personality, viewers are continually drawn to Rachel Green; but why?

It might be her narrative. Coming from a wealthy background, Rachel began the show as an uber-spoiled daddy’s girl who was strictly fluent in shopping and credit cards. However, in the pilot episode, she flips the script: Rachel leaves her loveless marriage, gets cut off by her parents, and is automatically pushed into the “real world.” The remarkable thing though (which would only ever happen on a sitcom) is that she succeeds; she really succeeds! To contrast her humble beginnings as a waitress at Central Perk, Rachel continually pushed herself occupationally, ending the series as an executive employee at Louis Vuitton. 

She’s someone we’re constantly rooting for!

It might also be her fashion. Rachel’s closet is anyone’s dream. It’s not dramatically infatuating or even noticeable as a “style”; instead, it’s that her character always looks put together. Classic Rachel looks are a cropped baby tee and baggy jeans/pants, plaid pleated skirts, slip dresses, a blazer over a casual outfit, overalls, the turtleneck and mini skirt combo, and always tights, tights, tights. She appears absolutely effortless, which is ironic because her fashion designer, Debra McGuire, has been nominated for 11 Emmys as Best Costume Designer. Rachel turned basic wardrobe staples into era-defining looks — she’s the embodiment of 90s fashion. 

Alternatively, it might be the casting. In the viewer’s mind, Jennifer Aniston is Rachel Green, as though they’re interchangeable people with the same personality and style. Aniston shared this sentiment in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, complaining that “I could not get Rachel Green off of my back for the life of me. I could not escape, ‘Just Rachel from Friends’.” As much as this may have come as a frustration to the actress, it’s the reason Rachel’s so loved. There’s zero separation between the actress and character — the art and the artist, and people love it! 

Even though all of these elements play a part, the obsession with Rachel truly stems from the fact that viewers are living vicariously through her. They dream of living in a world that exists within the walls of a coffee shop, where their hair is somehow always perfect, and where their friends are all eclectically intertwined; that’s why viewers continually return to Friends to watch the same scenes and conversations on repeatit makes them feel like a part of something perfect. Rachel and the show make them feel good.

Sloane Moriarty

UC Berkeley '27

Sloane is a freshman at UC Berkeley studying English, and minoring in education. She is passionate about writing and literacy because she finds words and communication to be the single most important factor in the development of our world. She loves to read and write because it can expand one's ideas and force their beliefs to grow. In her free time, she loves to spend time in the ocean, explore the outdoors, and try new restaurants. She is excited about her future at UC Berkeley and plans to get her masters in education and become a teacher.