Style > Fashion

WHY I’M OBSESSED WITH EMBROIDERED CREWNECKS FROM ETSY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Over the last semester, I have developed a rather unhealthy obsession with oversized crewnecks from Etsy. 

In the height of midterm season, the sweatshirt, jeans, and knockoff Birks combo is really the only outfit I wear out. It’s incredibly comfortable, looks at least a tiny bit put together, and takes zero time to think about (perfect for exam day). Crewnecks in general are just superior outerwear. They have the warmth and coziness of a hoodie, but don’t look as casual and don’t choke you nearly as much. Especially during this weird time between spring and summer when it’s slightly breezy but not cold enough for a jacket, crewnecks are a must-have. 

But don’t settle for just any crewneck. Sure, tons of brand names and online stores sell a variety of sweatshirts, but none can outdo Etsy. As a platform for anyone to sell their products (from clothes to stationery to water bottles), Etsy has, quite literally, hundreds of unique crewneck designs. And if you’re always on the hunt for tasteful fandom merch like me, forget the tacky days of Hot Topic.

The embroidery artists provide such cute and subtle designs that are just impossible to resist. Currently in my wardrobe are a black Harry Potter-themed crew neck embroidered with a simple thestral drawing and Luna Lovegood’s quote “We fly, of course,” and a navy blue Eternals themed one with the silhouette of Druig and Makkari’s foreheads touching. I promise you, any TV show, movie, song, or artist has at least one embroidered sweater on Etsy. 

They’re also a great conversation starter! One of my favorite things about embroidered sweaters is that the designs are usually one-liners, inside jokes, or small details, so only real fans would understand the reference. To the average person, it’s just an interesting design to ask the wearer about.

However, feel free to take this as permission to dive into your fan-crazed spiel that I’m sure is rehearsed at this point. Even if you don’t have a niche in mind and you just want an aesthetic sweater, they have dozens of revamped Nike sweaters or customizable college merch.  

Most importantly, these vendors are small business owners since they design, handmake, and package these beloved sweaters. It’s always a great idea to support your local (or virtual) small business if it’s within your capacity. Some of my favorite sellers are SoNeedley, Palismade, and mimimalistplan.

Instead of Shein, try looking for a sweater on Etsy! It’ll probably be cuter and better quality. Perhaps I’m saying this to justify buying the sweater that is sitting in my Etsy cart right now, but it’s true nonetheless. So if you’re looking to spice up your next sweater purchase, consider the embroidered Etsy crewneck route!

Kayla is a sophomore at UC Berkeley intending to major in English and minor in Education and Public Policy. In her free time, she loves to read a good paperback novel and write random short stories in her notes app. She also has an unhealthy obsession with ice cream, binging Netflix shows, and anything fantasy. Though originally from Los Angeles, Kayla is excited to be in the Bay Area and write about Berkeley life!