Crudites
Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon
Life > Experiences

WHY I LOVE BEING “CASUALLY” VEGAN…AND YOU MIGHT TOO!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Vegans and vegetarians seem to have a somewhat mixed reputation. I’ve noticed a couple of reasons for this.

Firstly, some seem to believe that vegans and vegetarians are judgemental and that they consider themselves morally superior to those who consume animal products. Another reason I’ve noticed is that vegans and vegetarians can sometimes be perceived as overly sensitive, demanding, or simply too difficult to accommodate. I believe these factors, among others, have contributed to an unnecessarily negative public perception of the vegan/vegetarian communities — in spite of the various known benefits related to vegansim and vegetarianism. 

I, frankly, also used to be one of those people who thought the vegan and vegetarian lifestyle was too cumbersome to be sustainable. Being from South Korea was another personal obstacle when shifting my diet, because most traditional Korean dishes rely on animal products. Yet after realizing I could be casually vegan, shifting my diet became less of a difficult lifestyle change and more of a positive progression. So, what do I mean when I say being “casually vegan?”

To me, casual veganism entails opting for vegan choices whenever convenient, rather than having to completely abstain from the use of animal products. Without the pressure of having to strictly commit to veganism, I’ve been able to more freely enjoy looking for and choosing vegan products in my diet and day-to-day life.

In doing so, I’ve been able to more regularly make dietary and lifestyle choices that not only make me feel great with respect to my personal health, but also to my personal ethics. As I learn more about the health and environmental consequences of my choices as a consumer, I enjoy casual veganism as one small way I can reduce my carbon footprint and work on my well-being.  

Lastly, I’ll acknowledge that this lifestyle was easier to pursue as a college student that lives away from home and is responsible for my own groceries and meals—as opposed to those who attend school from home or are a part of a fixed meal plan. Nevertheless, I believe the biggest appeals of casual veganism are the approachability and convenience of not having to religiously commit, and simply being able to enjoy veganism whenever you want to or can. 

For both your well-being and the state of the environment, it’s incredibly important to remember that even small efforts such as practicing casual veganism can make a difference. Hence, I highly encourage anyone to consider being casually vegan and, by extension, a part of the pursuit of a more sustainable world. Try it out!

Serena Kang

UC Berkeley '24

Serena is a Korean American first-year student at UC Berkeley who intends to double major in Psychology and Media Studies. Apart from being a foodie and a skincare junkie, she is a feminist and a passionate advocate for social justice. As she lives in Seoul and is attending school remotely this year, she is most looking forward to meeting the HC of Berkeley team in the fall!