This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I love denim. It’s the universal pant. It matches nearly everything, there’s a different fit, wash, and form for whatever you wish. Whether it’s denim jeans, skirts, or jackets, I’ve grown to collect denim. It has honestly become a problem for me, because I own nine pairs of jeans. However the great thing about denim is that you don’t need to collect it. Having one or two pairs of well-fitting jeans is all you need. 

When it comes to collecting denim, I made the distinction that I prefer to collect vintage denim. I haven’t bought a pair of new jeans since I was in middle school. Despite the rise of jeggings, which I won’t get into as a denim snob, I found I preferred the quality of older jeans, as they are a bit more stiff and durable than modern jeans. Despite some of my denim being older than me, they have held up longer than any of my store-bought jeans. 

Buying vintage jeans can be pricey, as many Berkeley vintage shops charge $100 to $200 for vintage denim, but I haven’t spent more than $40 on any of my vintage jeans. When buying vintage, you have no choice but to get them secondhand unless you’re able to source deadstock that hasn’t been worn yet. I prefer this, due to the fact that I love knowing that I’m extending the use of a preexisting pair of jeans vs. contributing to the consumption cycle of fast fashion. I’ve also gotten jeans shipped from different parts of the country with different owners, and maybe it’s just the impact of watching Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants as a kid, but I enjoy knowing my clothes have a history. 

If you’re someone who loves denim as well or wants to better curate the denim in your closet, there are a few tips I’ve picked up over the years from shopping vintage. I use reselling apps most often, as I haven’t had much luck with thrift stores and find curated vintage shops to be overpriced. I predominantly use Depop but have also gotten denim from Poshmark, Mercari, and eBay. 

This form of online thrifting does take a lot of sorting through posts regularly. Since there’s no returns when buying secondhand, I recommend getting as much information on the product as possible before buying. I have my measurements for my waist, hip, and inseam, and won’t buy a product unless I know the measurements. I especially look for posts that include photos of the measurements as visual proof. My personal favorite denim brands are Levis, particularly a 501 or 550 style, Wranglers, Lee, and Jordache.These are the brands I search for on resale apps. 

Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

While there’s a lot of convenience when buying denim new, I’ve found that I genuinely love all my vintage items. You can feel and see the difference in the overall quality, and, as a staple item in everyone’s closet, it’s worth investing in. Despite being something as simple as clothing bottoms, I feel my best in a good pair of denim.