This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As a Harry Styles fan who heavily debated purchasing his newest launch of nail polishes, it caught my eye that his nail polishes are biodegradable. Curious about what mystery components may lay in my favorite five-year-old nail polishes, I did a little research and was shocked by the toxic chemicals typically found in nail polish. 

Nail polish and nail polish remover is considered hazardous household waste by the Environmental Protection Agency due to their flammability and chemical mixture. Objectively, why would I want to put something considered even slightly hazardous anywhere near my body, no matter the gratification I may find having gorgeous colored nails?

Many companies have begun phasing out the harmful toxins previously found in nail polish. However, it doesn’t hurt to check the ingredients before using nail polish. According to Jen Mathews, a DERMAdoctor staff writer, the “Toxic Trio” to look out for are formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate. 

The American Cancer Society describes formaldehyde as a chemical quickly broken down in the air that is “sometimes used in low concentrations in cosmetics… and some fingernail polishes” however, “the levels reached are far below what is considered to be hazardous.” Arguably, no matter how you spin it, the EPA still classifies formaldehyde as a “probable human carcinogen” that can have health effects such as skin irritation, nausea, wheezing, coughing, and watery eyes. 

Dibutyl Phthalate is absorbed through the skin and is classified as a suspected endocrine disruptor (interference in hormonal systems) by the European Union and is toxic to reproduction. 

Toluene is used to keep nail polish smooth but has been linked to nervous systems health issues such as dizziness, headache, nausea, and eye irritation. It has also been linked to birth defects in children whose mothers experienced long-term exposure. 

Now armed with the knowledge of the hazardous chemicals likely in my favorite five-year-old nail polish, I think it might be time to invest in some new nail polishes. Perhaps even buy some from Harry Style’s Pleasing

Jessica Chan

UC Berkeley '25

Jessica is a first year at UC Berkeley pursuing a major in Environmental Science and a minor in Journalism. Outside of class you'll probably find her listening to Taylor Swift, going to concerts, or dragging her friends to a museum.