clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

WHAT EXACTLY IS A SUPER SENIOR?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Usually, introducing yourself to a class is nerve-racking for the common reasons of stage fright and hoping the positive reviews on Rate My Professor were accurate. This semester feels different now that I am a super senior: a student attending a 4-year university for more than four years.

In my first class introduction of the semester, we went around the room where I simply introduced myself as a senior while others shyly called themselves a “super senior” in air quotes. I was relieved that there were others like me in the room, but there was no doubt that there was a hint of embarrassment in their voices and awkward laughter. 

However, it struck me after the first week of classes as to why we super seniors are hesitant to claim this status. Was it the fear of judgment from peers? Could it have been the assumptions of other students? For me, it was FOMO, also known as the “fear of missing out.” I knew staying an extra year was to fulfill my requirements for my double major, but seeing social media posts of classmates graduating and going out into the world created a newfound sense of anxiousness inside me. It was as if I was falling behind. 

Now, I see that being a super senior is a blessing in disguise.

I have more time to figure out my path after college while also gaining insights from graduated classmates into the mistakes and successes in building a professional career. Plus, it’s comforting to hear that many students in my fall courses are also super seniors and that we are not alone as fifth-years.

The power of a super senior is that not only does it sound like a superhero name but it gives you the advantage of having more time to figure yourself out.

Halle Antoine

UC Berkeley '22

Halle is a Senior at UC Berkeley majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Creative Writing. She is passionate about racial justice issues in which she hopes to help the community as a tennis coach and in her articles. When not on the tennis courts, you can find her listening to K Pop or watching Disney movies!