Hero Image
Hero Image
Her Campus Media

We are the “It” Generation: Let’s Rock Our Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Just recently I have come to realize that I, along with the majority of UC Berkeley’s incoming freshman class, will officially be eligible to vote for the first time during the 2020 Presidential Election. Just our luck, some may think. The way I see it, it is an opportunity to change our communities and their mindset on voting.

In my personal experience, I have seen that past generations have not taken voting seriously, especially in my own Latinx community. This community and other underrepresented groups might believe that their votes aren’t worthy or feel discouraged from voting because they don’t believe that any candidates are fit for the job. 

Unsplash/Element5 Digital

But when most of our community believes that they shouldn’t bother to vote for whatever reason, the result is a large number of potential voters missing the chance to exercise their civic duty. They are letting others decide for them. 

When the outcome is announced, I’ve often seen these communities become infuriated. This time around, I think it is vital for us to encourage them to share their opinions and voices through voting.

mail in ballot envelope with pen
Photo by Tiffany Tertipes from Unsplash

We are currently going through a pivotal election season, and everyone should realize that their votes do count. The saying, “every vote counts,” is actually true. As a result, every person who has the opportunity to vote should do so. Voting is a serious opportunity to improve our lives. 

If the younger generation can change the way others perceive voting and the government, then we can also persuade underrepresented communities to vote and have a voice in what happens in their lives. If you have the privilege to vote, then do it. Be the voice that someone else can’t have.

Tania Salceda

UC Berkeley '24

(She/Her/Ella)
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.