Culture > News

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg visits Berkeley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Resilient, hard-working, and a role model are just a few of the many ways to describe U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 

Justice Ginsburg visited UC Berkeley on Monday, October 21 as a guest speaker for the lecture series hosted by the Boalt School of Law.

https://abc7news.com/society/ginsburg-shares-best-advice-shes-received-during-talk-at-uc-berkeley/5636828/

More than 1600 students gathered at Zellerbach Hall to watch her interview with Berkeley law professor Amanda Tyler – one of her former clerks – in which Justice Ginsburg discussed her past experiences as a woman.

She explained that her career in law was really the only option because Harvard medical school did not yet accept women. 

Her interest rocketed when she attended Cornell University and learned about the roles of lawyers in the Cold War. This inspired her to become a lawyer and improve the communities in which she lived.

Despite her academic accomplishments and credentials, firms were hesitant to employ a woman, but Ginsburg defied all odds and earned herself a spot in one. Even when the Equal Pay Act was implemented, it was not taken seriously. She later published a book – My Own Words – about her past experiences and how gender discrimination played a role in her journey to become the woman she is today. 

https://www.redbubble.com/people/sszampetti/works/32754117-ruth-bader-ginsburg-dissent

Justice Ginsburg has been and remains a role model for women in all career fields. Her story resonates with everyone who faces obstacles along the way to success.

I'm a sophomore at Cal majoring in Media Studies with minors in Journalism and Dance. Aside from dancing on the Cal Dance Team, I love spending my time writing, reading, and traveling. I am obsessed with Broadway and can identify any song that comes on Spotify shuffle. When I'm not studying or dancing, you can find me adventuring in the Bay Area with my friends.
Rosalyn Wang

UC Berkeley