TV SERIES I BINGE WATCH BASED ON THE SEASON

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I live for the drama that fictional stories and characters give me. Sitcoms and soaps are my favorite genre of shows and movies because I enjoy feeling as if I have a glimpse into “someone else’s life” (although it may not be real). 

There is something about feeling connected to these characters, their lives, and families that brings me comfort. 

I find that the best times to watch these series are when I’m winding down from a long day and/or while I’m doing homework and other kinds of work. They not only allow me to step out of my everyday life and transport to another “world,” but they improve my concentration on others tasks, too. It’s pure escapism and I’m here for it. 

Below, I’ve listed a few classic series I find myself watching seasonally. I’ve ranked them by the shows I tend to watch each spring, summer, fall, and winter.

spring: new girl (2011) and jane the virgin (2014)

New Girl and Jane the Virgin are so spring-coded. From Jane Villanueva’s theme song when she’s kissing Michael for the first time to Jessica Day’s bright-colored clothes and arts-and-crafts-style character, these shows are perfect to watch when you need a little push to get into the warm spirit of Spring. 

You can find New Girl (running on seven seasons) on Hulu and Jane the Virgin (running on five seasons) on Netflix. Although cheesy at times, New Girl is a great show with well-written characters, jokes, and plot lines that are guaranteed to make you laugh (even if it’s just a shoulder shrug kind of laugh). Jane the Virgin can also be cheesy at times, but its novela-style approach and integration of small pieces of Hispanic culture (i.e. characters watching novelas, following religious traditions, etc.) make it a pleasure to watch. 

These series always have me feeling warm, cheerful, and ready for new things. 

summer: modern family (2009) and stranger things (2016)

Modern Family (2009) and Stranger Things (2016) give me nostalgia to summer evenings spent with my siblings and loved ones after a hot day spent in the pool; we’d often reconvene from our break and watch shows and movies together to end the night. 

The Dunphys from Modern Family sort of remind me of my own family and how chaotic, yet loving they are, and I love the “strange,” scary-funny dynamic of Stranger Things

You can find Modern Family on Peacock and Hulu and Stranger Things on Netflix. These shows are the best to watch when you’re bored in the summer or looking for something to do after taking a beach trip. They’re the perfect amount of nostalgia, family love, and humor that sets the scene for a perfect summer. 

fall/winter – gilmore girls (2000) and gossip girl (2007)

Gilmore Girls (2000) and Gossip Girl (2007) are the ultimate girls’ shows. Filled with drama, relatable (and not so relatable) situations and situationships, topics like college/school and family life, etc., make these shows so addicting that I almost can’t take my eyes off of the screen. You can find Gilmore Girls on Netflix and Gossip Girl on Max. 

The soundtrack, wardrobe, and humor all contain nostalgic pieces from the 90s and 2000s, and the characters are hard not to get attached to. Fall vibes are all about “mindset” and “intention,” crisp air, and multicolored (orange, brown, yellow, and red) palettes. 

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

I love watching these shows with a cup of coffee or while writing a new post for my blog. They make me feel warm, despite fall’s cold weather and motivate me to get work done, especially since the main characters are academically motivated and focused. 

Clarissa Arceo

UC Berkeley '24

A talented and driven rising senior at UC Berkeley pursuing studies in Media and Journalism. As a first-generation Latina student, I bring a unique perspective to my work and endeavor to be a voice for those who are unheard. With a passion for storytelling and capturing timeless moments, I've found my niche in the world of journalism. I strive to spark conversations, challenge societal norms, and bring awareness to the diverse communities that make up our society. Beyond my journalistic pursuits, I find solace in literature and photography. My love for reading is intertwined with my passion for writing, and I draw inspiration from my Latin heritage to be an authentic voice and advocate for change.