Top Viral Videos of the Week: 1/22

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

We’re starting a new series in which we’ll feature our favorite 5 viral videos of the week. Check them out below! 

Hello

Hello from ant1mat3rie on Vimeo.

Barbie, Woody Allen, George Clooney, Borat, and a laundry list of stars appear in this viral mash-up of Lionel Richie’s song “Hello.” Of course, these celebrities didn’t sign a contract to star in a re-make of Richie’s 1984 music video. An anonymous Vimeo user by the name of “ant1mat3rie” edited various movie clips together to recreate the song. The video, posted on January 14th, has already garnered 2.6 million hits. While it may nothave the same narrative flow of the original music video, the mash-up is definitely less creepy and less stalker-ish.

“My First Hard Core Song” by 8 year-old Juliet

A hard-core song about a young girl’s love for her dog Robert and fishies? Yes, please! This head-banging music video features 8 year-old Juliet singing about her pets as she jumps on a trampoline with her stuffed animals. The music video, which was produced for fun by a family friend and filmed by her mom, has made Juliet an overnight Youtube sensation. Step aside Marilyn Manson, there’s a new, much more adorable rock sensation in town.

Daniel Radcliffe as Casey Anthony’s Dog on SNL

Casey Anthony, who was famously acquitted for the murder of her 2 year-old daughter last year, revealed in her personal video diary that she adopted a Yorkshire terrier. Yikes. In response, Daniel Radcliffe appeared as Casey Anthony’s puppy on Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update last week to describe his (terrifying) new life and to question the dog adoption screening process. Radcliffe dressed as a neurotic Yorkshire terrier is pure gold. While he’s famous for his role as Harry Potter, I think this may be his 2nd best performance yet.

The Bark Side

Volkswagen seems prepared to follow up on last year’s wildly popular and critically acclaimed Superbowl commercial called “The Force.” Sticking with the Star War’s theme, Volkswagen posted a teaser for their upcoming Superbowl commercial which features 11 dogs barking the “Imperial March” theme song. The adorable viral video has already generated over 3 million views in two days. Who would’ve thought that a commercial for a commercial could be this entertaining?

Stephen Colbert’s Pro-Cain Campaign

Stephen! Stephen! Stephen! Stephen Colbert is running for president! Unfortunately, South Carolinians are not allowed to write Colbert’s name onto the ballot in the upcoming GOP primary. With this new discovery, Colbert has turned to a new tactic: support Herman Cain who is still on the ballot. Colbert plans to use Cain, who dropped out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination amidst allegations of sexual harassment, as a proxy candidate. This past week the “Definitely Not Coordinating with Stephen Colbert” super PAC has created a series of ads supporting Herman Cain…which actually support Stephen Colbert.
Confusing? Yes. Hilarious? Hell yes.

Image source: http://theawesomer.com/the-bark-side/147210/

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.