This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

We have to admit, 2011 was a great year for music. This list of the top-ten is just a few of the tunes that kept us moving and grooving. From hip-hop to rock & roll, we’ve covered it all and cannot wait to see what 2012 has to bring!

10.  Jay-Z and Kanye West- “N—-s in Paris”

We have to admit, this song would probably be higher on our list if it were released earlier in the year, but hey, it made it to the top ten! It gave us a new saying (“that s— cray”) that even my mom knows and gave us a catchy little tune that sticks with us. And who doesn’t love the sound bite from Will Ferrell?

9.  Foster the People- “Pumped Up Kicks”

Do you actually know what the lyrics say? Do you care? Nah. This catchy little pop single had us all whistling away. It’s the perfect song to brighten up your day as you’re walking through a patch of sunflowers.

8. Katy Perry- “Firework”

Although it came out in 2010, this single really took off in
2011. This song is an anthem for the people. Anyone can relate to it in some way or another. I mean really, who doesn’t want to be a firework? It’s also one of those songs that we all wish we could belt along with. Guess yelling at the top of our lungs will have to do.

Continue on to see #7
[ pagebreak ]

7. Chris Brown- “Look at Me Now”

Props to anyone that can rap the section by Busta Rhymes or any portion of this song for that matter. This song is hard, full of energy, and led to a ton of attempts on YouTube. We consider it to be Chris Brown’s comeback. And nope, it doesn’t seem like he’ll be apologizing for anything anytime soon.

6. Rhianna and Calvin Harris- “We Found Love”

Calvin Harris finally made a big break over into mainstream music with this track featuring Rhianna’s lovely vocals. This electro piece has been a more recent favorite. It’s lyrics are simple and quite beautiful and it’s beat is extremely catchy and  is sure to get you shaking. Oh, and have you seen the video?

5. Britney Spears- “Till the World Ends”

Britney made a comeback this year with this ultimate fist-pumping, dance tune. 
With the lyrics telling us to keep dancing, we can’t help but listen and follow.

Continue on to see #4
[ pagebreak ]

4. Lady Gaga- “Born This Way”

This single off the album Lady Gaga dropped this year was unlike anything we had heard from her before. You can’t deny that this song had you feeling like you could conquer the world in pair of five-inch stilettos, and for that it made it on our list.

3. Nicki Minaj- “Super Bass”

This song dominated the radio and was the 7th single released from Nicki Minaj’s album which just goes to show how strong of an artist she really is. It has an extrememly catchy hook and Minaj’s distinct vocals. She definitely left her music mark this year and for that she gets number 3 on our list.

2. LMFAO- “Party Rock Anthem”

This song dominated the radio throughout the year and had us all attempting to shuffle.  You can’t help but get up and dance when you hear this track. At number one on the charts in the U.S. for five straight weeks, this song deserves to be number 2 on our list.

Continue on to see which song reached the top of our list!
[ pagebreak ]

1.  Adele- “Rolling in the Deep”

Just writing this I have the lyrics playing through my head. It’s the song that everyone knows the words to (kinda) and wishes they could belt. Almost everyone can relate to the lyrics and no one can resist yelling them out when hearing it on the radio. It’s definitely full of raw emotions and a song that lasted throughout and dominated this year. Adele was the top artist of this year by far.

As mentioned, 2011 was an amazing year for music, which is why it was so hard for us to narrow it down to just ten. So we want to know which songs you consider to be the top songs of 2011.

Image sources:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.