TOP FOREIGN ARTISTS YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS MIDTERM SEASON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Barbara Pravi (France)

Photo: Barbra Pravi performing at Eurovision Song Contest in 2021 

KI2nQTWBU0Mpa 2spx3HT S1GJFq VKseB5HaAuhWoRiXIxpP Os3ygDlBoEUmn6NTvXoTYNMt6PYKRz5gmGbf7Fl974DAONl0 slYQyuKextABGVwOnmb PMVKvOkbLHIqepXYB

Favorite song: “CHAIR”

Barbara Pravi had her breakthrough after she performed the song “Voilà” at the annual Eurovision Song Contest in 2021. The song, which is a call for people to accept her as she is, took Europe’s hearts and quickly turned Barbara into the next up-and-coming star. My favorite song by her is the song “CHAIR” which is based on the heavily debated abortion laws in France. If you listen to this, I recommend listening to it in French first, and then reading the English translation!

Tame Impala (Australia)

Photo: Tame Impala performing in Boston in 2019

XwhkrKre0uCpi8FpVD7PskCTDTFRNrC51SFI3 Dh0GZFDNQ9mLqKhTsyHOUFcK4pIx0K1u4XxmCiw3FbCRd1CLc65ul9CSeUc J2UgWz2 ucjhHDWxTtrGSeTFz4TxfkrZj NgMQ

Favorite song: “Yes, I’m Changing”

Tame Impala is the psychedelic music project of the artist Kevin Parker. His music is often described as an alternative to mainstream pop music, and some even compare it to meditation: “Instead of opening your mind, you’re just trying to silence it.” I watched him live three years ago, and even at a festival with thousands of people surrounding me, I could agree with the statement above. It simply felt like silence. He’s touring this year as well, so keep that in mind when planning your summer!

Karpe (Norway)

Photo: Karpe live with the album “SAS pluss SAS pussy”

TLl6hH PYEMuhmKSaIrhQoSWX0 A1LINurybgz7OVuzLIwAou5OONsE2EPU2mhWxdRSSfTVncUyzbih5aHsHtUfwyIh 8kis5lDgTFP

Favorite song: “Lett å være rebell i kjellerleiligheten din”

This Norwegian rap duo “Karpe” consists of the rappers Magdi and Chirag and has become a name all Norwegians know about. For many years they have been praised for differing from other rap artists, such as rapping about contemporary political problems Norway is facing rather than ​​sex or drugs. This includes racism, poverty, and criticism of the system capitalism has created. My favorite song came out right after Norway faced one of its worst refugee crises and is meant to portray racism. Their ideology is to not make huge profits from their music but to put the money in making more music and throwing the craziest live concerts you have seen.

Trombone de Frutas (Brazil)

Photo: Trombone de Frutas announcing their new album in 2016

82GDreTu1tZ8r SoTUnEzGvd9nwxMSklthlIld0wA1GtdLFl3PS3beeLtP Qm8Nr4stePMNdNQPFkXw6uMfB9OqvybM1E75EEOcKt 5 MZQbny

Favorite song: “Me n U”

The Brazilian band came out with its debut album in 2014, and later had its breakthrough with the song “Me n U” and “Bratempp” in 2016. They’re still a small, relatively unknown band, but its six members are described as tomorrow’s “big thing.” The band has taken on the challenge and has given jazz a new light, with a modern and alternative touch to it. If you’re planning a chill day at the beach or a picnic in one of Berkeley’s many parks, you definitely need to bring a speaker and put on one of their albums.

Patrick Watson (France)

Photo: Patrick Watson in may 2009, taken in Southern California

wtIj0UWGN69DlkQWduU94jblPo CdGJaxw6 dEWGiXH7yFpywhhyUwS8k i41OOv6r H7QZBmEv2jr6rTLAQbmeAG6u4IVZzNe5zSL5UGpJ3prYkiQLn2grySab4y56ta Mw n5

Favorite song: “Je te laisserai des mots”

This is the last artist I discovered my freshmen year of college, and when I listen to him now I can still feel the excitement of moving to a new place and the peace I felt inside of me after meeting some of my best friends in school. The romantic song “Je te laisserai des mots” is his most famous one and is interpreted as a “love-announcement” in regards to anything you have just realized you’re in love with. If you’re looking for a song to calm your nerves down during midterm season, this is it!

Elise Sandvik

UC Berkeley '23

Hi! I'm currently studying global studies, and spend most of my time working with human rights. Besides that I have a love for fashion, art and creativity in general – and most important: storytelling. Ever since I discovered the art of journalism, I haven’t been able to put my pen down. Not just because I love writing, but because there are just too many stories to be told. Each unique, personal, and inspiring stories about individuals, projects, interests, or hobbies. These sorties deserve to be told – they deserve to be heard. Thank you for taking the time to read them. Elise