THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR FRIENDS FOR VALENTINE’S DAY IN BERKELEY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but it doesn’t always have to be celebrated with a significant other!

It’s a time to show those around you that you love and appreciate them. Not to mention Valentine’s Day is probably the most aesthetically pleasing holiday of the year with all the cute decorations, themed food and pastries, and fun things to do! But if you’re stumped on plans, here are 10 things you can do with your friends around Berkeley to celebrate Valentine’s Day from classic activities like picnics and movie marathons to unique experiences like museum visits. 

1. Picnic on the Glade

Gather your friends, make a trip to Trader Joe’s and head to Memorial Glade for a cute and delicious picnic. You could take this occasion to see who can make the best charcuterie boards and play your favorite love songs as you eat and chat away. 

2. Take a stroll in the rose garden or botanical garden

Berkeley students are especially lucky because there are plenty of pretty gardens right around campus that would be great to visit on Valentine’s Day. If the weather permits, make the trip and enjoy the atmosphere. All the flowers and plants would be a great backdrop for a Valentine’s Day photoshoot to post on Instagram!

3. Explore The Tilden Park

Tilden Regional Park, located on the Berkeley hills, has a variety of options. You could have your picnic there or visit their own botanical garden. If you want to be more active, you could hike at Tilden or go biking amongst the trees. Tilden also offers activities like the steam train and the merry-go-round!

4. Visit BAMPFA

If you haven’t been to Downtown Berkeley’s best attraction, the Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive, check it out with your friends this Valentine’s Day season. Though the museum will be closed on Valentine’s Day, visit it the weekend before to see the new collections and exhibitions on display. You could also check what films are showing and if there are any art workshops coming up.

The red stairwell would also make a great spot for a Valentine’s Day pic. Best of all, it’s free for students!

5. Have a rom-com movie marathon

If you are in need of a low-cost and low-effort option for Valentine’s Day, have a rom-com movie marathon. From classics like How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days or He’s Just Not That Into You to new gems To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and Set It Up, you can have all the fun in the comfort of your own home maybe while wearing some matching Valentine’s Day pajamas. 

6. Host a dinner party 

If you want to stay in on Valentine’s Day but still want to make the most of the holiday, host a themed dinner party! Get some cute heart decorations and party gear from Target, check out Trader Joe’s for any Valentine’s goods to make your meal out of and get decked out in pink and red outfits for the occasion. 

7. Go to brunch

If you think you’re going to be busy on the actual day of Valentine’s Day (it’s on a Tuesday this year) and want to celebrate a little bit early, you could organize a brunch date with your friends on the weekend. Berkeley classics are La Note and Berkeley Social Club, but you could also take a trip to San Francisco and try something different. 

8. Throw a baking night

It’s probably just the smell of all kinds of sweets in the air, but something about Valentine’s Day just screams baking! Have your friends pick out a Pinterest recipe, bonus points if it’s pink or heart themed, and spend the night before baking so you can walk around passing out treats on Valentine’s Day. 

9. Painting date

Unleash your artistic side and have a painting date with your friends. Buy some canvases, a paint by numbers set, or even a ceramic kit from Amazon and go to town. You could even make it special by trying to paint portraits of each other as Valentine’s Day gifts. 

10. Cafe hopping

Lastly, you may want to explore the food scene around Berkeley more and go cafe hopping for Valentine’s Day. Try local cafes or bakeries around campus that you haven’t been to, or wander down Telegraph and College Avenue to discover new spots and see if they have any Valentine’s Day drinks, food or deals. 

Kayla is a sophomore at UC Berkeley intending to major in English and minor in Education and Public Policy. In her free time, she loves to read a good paperback novel and write random short stories in her notes app. She also has an unhealthy obsession with ice cream, binging Netflix shows, and anything fantasy. Though originally from Los Angeles, Kayla is excited to be in the Bay Area and write about Berkeley life!