This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The MSCHF Big Red Boots went viral in early February on social media platforms such as Tiktok and Twitter, with most netizens being quick to call them ugly. The Internet did what it knows best and created mocking memes, which people used to share their opinions about how unflattering the footwear appears. 

As the saying goes: any publicity is good publicity. With all the buzz around these boots that resemble anime character Astro Boy’s footwear, a trend emerged among influencers and celebrities to attempt to style them. 

I2IMI0SFMdoI4aqx32DLnrY0E0x8wycZJnKMvIVuklL7MP5hv a4ypWoe3jeIC6B8YcTSoaS0wmD YvJXLohp604XZHNl imONukMbmr RkPoJFfYO5DOcaqz4tJp4GoggG5SotwU7Vc1WIplUV89A

While most of us were having fun judging the creative outfits, some folks took to Youtube and Twitter to post irritated think pieces that lamented the downfall of fashion. It is fair to be disappointed that such a cartoonish-looking boot is selling at $350. The price is definitely hard to defend for a barely walkable shoe. 

However, what is defensible is the right for fashion to be unconventional, unserious, or even (subjectively) ugly. These boots follow the numerous waves of new fashion styles over the past year, including the re-popularization of the Harajuku style. Harajuku style is named after its origin place in the Shibuya fashion district in Tokyo. This style is an eclectic mix and layering of mesh, distressed clothing, fishnets, and ruffles — much different from the more minimalistic style of the first few years of the 2020s. 

There have been several instances where people wearing the Harajuku style have been ridiculed on the Internet. A notable example is TikToker @aliyasinterlude, who has a signature look inspired by the Harajuku style called “Aliyahcore.” She went viral on Twitter in December 2022 for wearing a variation of her style to the beach, where she was both mocked and defended for her outfit choice. 

People have always been quick to make negative comments about others’ different fashion choices. It was only natural for both the Harajuku style and the Big Red Boots to face their share of backlash. Despite how unconventional the Harajuku style and the boots are, there is no denying that they are striking for good reasons. It is fun to come up with styling ideas for both of them. The Big Red Boots’ bulbous and cartoonish appearance is very new and different because of how comical and childish they appear. In a way, they send the message of being playful with fashion and allowing creative expression to be silly.

On the other hand, it is quite obvious that the Big Red Boots were made for publicity purposes. At the end of the day, fashion companies prioritize profits. They meet these goals by creating generally well-received clothing pieces or controversial fashion pieces that appear gimmicky to drive up engagement. It is obvious that MSCHF was trying to boost exposure and sales by having celebrities and influencers attempt to style their boots and share their outfits on social media to be judged by the Internet. 

Despite this, the creative element that came into play with styling these boots was still fun to watch. Even though the calculated marketing of fashion can take away some of this fun, the Harajuku and several other styles have shown us that we can still be inventive, creative, and silly with more affordable clothing options.

Oge Okpala

UC Berkeley '24

Hello! I am currently a UC Berkeley junior majoring in Integrative Biology and Media Studies. In my free time, I love watching youtube, listening to music, spending time with friends, and crocheting.