‘THE REST’: TO BECOME A VOYAGER INTO THE POWERS OF BOYGENIUS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

On Oct. 13, the beloved indie supergroup boygenius released its newest EP, the rest. It’s a welcomed continuation of their 2023 album the record, which was their newest release since their 2018 self-titled EP. In the rest, all three band members (Lucy Dacus, Phoebe Bridgers, and Julien Baker) showcase their individual artistry and combined talents that embody what makes this group special. 

The tracklist is fairly short, with four songs totaling only 12 minutes. However, time isn’t a measurement representative of the listening experience it instills. The appealing vocals and poignant lyricism make each track an impassioned and immersive story of its own. Though the rest is an overall powerful collection, it’s best appreciated when each song is treated as its own entity, granting the rightful recognition to the unique reflections and feelings each embodies. 

“Black hole”

“Black Hole” is a melancholic yet lovely welcome to the rest. Beginning with isolated vocals from Baker before transitioning to a harmony of Dacus and Bridgers, it’s incredibly melodious throughout. The imagery of the lyrics is less detailed than the other tracks, but it remains a powerful listen nonetheless. It movingly captures the wistful feeling that appears during the absence of someone you care for.

“Afraid of Heights”

With its elaborate storytelling and enriching metaphors that feel very reminiscent of Dacus’ solo portfolio, it’s only fitting that her vocals are emphasized in this track. The tribulation of the narrator, who professes “I want to live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death,” is a painfully relatable struggle that the song encapsulates well. The more attention you give towards its well-written lyrics, the greater appreciation you’ll have. 

Phoebe Bridgers at the 2021 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

“voyager”

This track is Bridger’s turn to take center stage. With vibes similar to her beloved Punisher album, it’s an immediately pleasurable listening experience. As a reflection on a turbulent past relationship, the introspection expressed will hit close to home for many. This song’s vibes are best suited for listening on a more downcast day.  

“powers”

The longest track on the EP, “Powers” is a thorough and beautiful closer. Like the first track, it begins with a cathartic vocal performance by Baker. This pleasing melody is further enhanced by the backing guitar, which appropriately elevates the intensity. The elongated and smooth instrumental fade out is a fitting conclusion for not only “Powers,” but the entire collection. 

the rest confidently continues boygenius’ run of excellent releases. It’s a satisfying listen throughout, making it challenging to not greedily want even more. However, even with only four tracks, it stands tall and isn’t overshadowed by its adored predecessors. 

Melina Tisopulos

UC Berkeley '27

Melina Tisopulos is a first-year student at UC Berkeley. She plans to major in legal and media studies and pursue a career in mass media, law, or political consulting. Working on her chapter’s advertising and writing teams, she is excited to make content for brand campaigns and dabble in different article styles. Outside of the classroom, she enjoys reading literary fiction, binging dramedies, and going out with her friends and two sisters. She loves the Berkeley community and vibrant campus life and looks forward to the coming semesters.