THE CASE FOR RECURRING CINEMA: EUPHORIA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Every Sunday without fail, I gaze at my reflection in the mirror, only to paint a layer of glittery eye shadow over my eyelids and place stick-on gemstones in an intricate pattern surrounding my eyes. I step back from the mirror to look at my finished canvas. My face is painted, glittered, perfect… for Euphoria Day. 

There’s a sense of ritual that comes with tuning into the most popular show of the year every Sunday night at 6PM PST. Fan theories and passionate discourse from the previous week’s episode simmer quietly throughout the week until Sunday night when it all comes to a boil. Even if this season is less consistent than the last, the consistency of weekly releases, an endless platter of memes, and discussion amongst friends is something I look forward to. Euphoria is a recurring event. That’s where its beauty lies. 

Every Sunday, I can count on the ritual of slightly dressing up, avoiding Twitter the moment the clock strikes six, and then running to Twitter for unhinged discourse after watching the episode. The show itself, with its color palette, fashion and Kodak moments (in the most literal sense, as season 2 is shot on film) is a cinematic experience. These elements help stories captivate audiences in a way that feels real when the show is not necessarily grounded in reality.

I actively root for Rue to overcome her addiction along with millions of others. The show itself is not perfect and contains elements that are problematic but it’s a powerful feeling to be in the loop with people all around the world. I like laughing at themes fans create and participating (for the most part) in the discourse the show provokes. The show’s general format of weekly episodes helps allows people to partake in a ritual. Conversations are able to ruminate long enough to become a part of the cultural zeitgeist for a period that’s longer than two weeks.

This, of course, is the standard format that’s been followed since the birth of television. But in an age where consumers have become accustomed to the eight episode seasons Netflix drops on its viewers all at once, Euphoria makes me understand the case for the weekly episode.

Megha Joshi

UC Berkeley '24

Megha Joshi is sophomore at UC Berkeley majoring in Political Science. In her free time, she likes watching tv shows and getting overly attached to the fates of her favorite fictional characters.