Style > Fashion

THE BEST THRIFT STORES AROUND UC BERKELEY (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Thrifting is not just a pastime, but a lifestyle. As a student/resident in Berkeley, here are some top picks — in no particular order — of all the thrift stores that one should explore at least once:

1. Goodwill/Goodwill Bins

Of the trusted chain of thrift stores, we have Goodwill on University Ave. It has become a household name in the thrift realm. The Goodwill stores are hit or miss. The store is a decent size that carries everything from clothing to household items, books to electronics. Goodwill has become an amazing place for finding affordable used books and vintage clothing at reasonable prices. 

Another place along the same lines are the Goodwill Bins. The bins are not for everyone, but if you’re up for the challenge of digging in bins to find hidden treasure, it’s an amazing option. The bins charge by the weight of your findings, which is more affordable for many.  

2. Crossroads

Located on Shattuck, Crossroads is a vibrant and packed store with hidden goodies. It’s a trendy thrift store that’s curated with a selection of used clothing, shoes, and accessories. Every once in a while, you can find a cute and affordable bag. People are often able to find stylish clothing from popular brands at a fraction of the original cost. Crossroads Trading Post is a bit more expensive than goodwill, but still offers name brands at an affordable price. 

3. Out of the Closet

Out of the Closet is located on University Ave., further down than the GoodWill store, and is a mix of Shattuck and Goodwill. It has one dollar books and other affordable clothing options. This thrift store has a mix of clothing, furniture, and household items. One can find affordable and gently used glassware such as vases, cups, and even picture frames. 

4. 2nd Street

2nd Street is a store for vintage fashion enthusiasts. The store has curated handpicked items of clothing and accessories. There are unique shoes from Dr. Martens boots to Converse, and even heels. With its carefully curated selection, 2nd Street provides a shop where everyone is able to find something they like.

5. SoSo Market

SoSo Market is a cute pink store that has created a heavenly pink space for second-hand shopping. This cozy store is filled with carefully selected clothing, decor items, and cute knick-knacks. The store is a bit more expensive than any other option in the list, but it’s worth it. The store allows for vendors to display their clothing and jewelry, allowing a plethora of new small businesses to thrive. 

Every once in a while, SoSo Market offers an open door market that stretches for blocks that have numerous vendors offering their services. There, you can find plies of clothing, crochet items, candles, and other items at affordable prices. If you’re ever given the chance, it’s worth it to check it out.  

The thrift stores offer diverse tastes and budgets, making it an exciting and accessible experience. The thrill one gets from the hunt for one-of-a-kind finds, vintage finds, and affordable fashion is an adventure that hopefully leads to the best thrift finds. Everyone should visit thrift stores at least once in their life. It can become an amazing hobby.

Ahtziri Junes

UC Berkeley '25

Hi, I’m Ahtziri and I’m looking forward to the future