This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As Valentine’s Day celebrations inch closer, a variation of this romantic holiday also emerges — Galentine’s.

The concept of transforming a day that’s typically filled with intimate dates into a festivity where friends spend quality time together, filling the role of a romantic partner with other important relationships in their lives. There’s a certain kind of beauty that comes with loving friends to the same degree that you would a significant other, but in a completely different way. 

For those who don’t have a special someone to celebrate Feb. 14 with, Galentine’s Day is a great alternative for friends to spread platonic love. Aside from granting singles a chance to build memories without a romantic partner, this version of the holiday highlights the sacred relationship between friends.

tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

The need to celebrate Valentine’s Day with someone in a romantic way disappears when friends arrive. The same activities that can be done with a significant other are instead done with people who love each other platonically.

While the traditional culture of Feb. 14 is still preserved by some couples, finding ways to shower the people who fill a different void in your life depicts a special bond that can’t be recreated or replaced.

It’s more than dining out and watching romantic comedies together — or making heart-shaped pizzas before belting out lyrics during an impromptu karaoke session. Galentine’s Day represents a time when platonic love is honored and embraced to the same extent as that of romantic love. 

That doesn’t mean people in romantic relationships can’t celebrate with their friends or recognize other people they love; Galentine’s is for anyone who wants to show love, regardless of what kind of love it is.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, love’s as ripe as ever. The care and affection given to planning a special day for friends is no different than preparing to show a significant other their value in your life. The people who’ve been with you through your ups and downs deserve a day dedicated to the journey your friendship has traveled.

Nevya Patel

UC Berkeley '26

I am Nevya Patel and am studying English at UC Berkeley. Although I am on the pre-law track, I am excited to join HerCampus to practice my writing and meet new people along the way. In my free time, I love reading and spending quality time with my friends.