Stages of Being Homesick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As a freshman in college it’s likely that by week two (or even week one) you’ll catch a bit of homesickness. Even if you’ve been away from your friends and family before for long periods a time, college will inevitably be different. There’s a sense of severity that comes with leaving home for college, that in most cases conjures serious homesickness.

In the beginning you probably won’t even feel homesick. Chances are you’re too caught up in the whirlwind that is college life. New people. New city. New experiences. The distractions will keep you from missing your old life, at least to the point of being seriously homesick. Although for some homesickness might hit hard and hit fast, hopefully you still catch a moment to just have fun.

Slowly the homesickness begins to creep in: the food is not the same or you miss your friend’s ridiculous shenanigans. These will start as just passing thoughts, but once the little thoughts starts to get bigger and more frequent, you’re probably crossing into the homesickness territory.

You will feel the homesickness really set in once you can’t get through a day without calling your mom or FaceTiming your friends. You might feel a little ache in your heart when you see something that reminds you of your best friend. Sometimes the only cure for feeling this blue will be to throw on some PJ’s and watch that movie you and your family always loved. Or maybe just going out and keeping yourself distracted with college. Either way embrace it, it will make you feel better in the long run.

No matter how dismal these times of homesickness will just remember that at the end of the day your family and friends want you to be there; they were probably the ones encouraging you to fly the nest and do great things. So chin up, and maybe call an old friend.

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.