Life > Experiences

MY RANKING ON BERKELEY’S HOT SPOT BOBA SHOPS

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I LOVE boba. From the sweet tapioca pearl topping to creamy and classic flavors. What’s there not to love?

In Berkeley, there isn’t a part of the city where you won’t be able to find a place that sells yummy boba drinks and that’s what I love about it!

I enjoy bringing my sweet treat with me on excursions to Trader Joe’s and Target, while thrifting on Telegraph Ave. with my friends, and as a sweet treat on my way to class. 

Since arriving at Cal, I’ve tried several different boba spots in the city of Berkeley in pursuit of finding my token boba spot. My go-to is a classic milk tea. You can’t go wrong with a traditional top-seller like this! 

Below, you’ll find my rankings of 10 surrounding tea shops ranked by the following categories: price, dairy-free milk options, boba (consistency and flavor), and atmosphere: 

(This is based on my opinion and does not reflect my preference for all of Berkeley’s boba shops.)

10. Boba ninja

Average price: ~$6 

Location: 2519B Durant Ave

Dairy-free option available: Yes

Atmosphere: Busy feel but quick

Overall rating: 5/10

My visit to Boba Ninja was pleasant, and the drink was satisfying enough to fulfill my boba craving! The tea has a blueberry taste, and I love how it’s located next to a bunch of different food spots to pair with a meal!

9. hay tea

Location: 2505 Hearst Ave

Average price: ~$4-5

Dairy-free option: No; some non-dairy milk powder

Atmosphere: Quick, sweet

Overall rating: 5/10

I love how conveniently located it is by many restaurants so I can enjoy the drink with my meal! It’s creamy and rich, and the boba always tastes fresh!

8. Plentea

Location: 2430 Durant Ave

Average price: ~$7

Dairy-free option available: Yes; Made with dairy-free milk

Atmosphere: Cutesy energy

Overall rating: 6/10

The drink and boba itself weren’t too sweet, but were enough to make me happy. Love the vibes and decor of the inside of the shop, and I appreciate the option to choose from a plastic cup or cute glass bottle for your drink! 

7. raretea

Location: 2440 Bancroft Way

Average price: ~$5

Dairy-free option available: Some options available

Atmosphere: Relaxing, study session vibes

Overall rating: 6/10

Every time I step into Raretea I want to have a boba and study session with my friends! There’s so many options to choose from on this menu and the drinks are made fairly quickly, which makes well for on-the-go boba runs. The boba also has a sweet flavor!

6. feng cha

Location: 2528A Durant Ave

Average price: ~$5.50

Dairy-free option available: Yes!

Atmosphere: Bustling, sweet

Overall rating: 6.5/10

I really like the cute decor and set-up, and the many options to pair your drinks with a yummy treat! The times I’ve been to Feng Cha are always very pleasant and never disappoint! The boba is warm and the drinks are fresh!

5/4. purple kow

Location: 2508 Channing Way

Average price: ~$5-6

Dairy-free option available: Yes; fresh milk or non-dairy creamer

Atmosphere: Quick, exciting

Overall rating: 7.5/10

Southside’s newest boba shop instantly stole my heart with its great flavors and perfect portions! I might be biased because they remind me of a boba shop near my place back home, but Purple Kow has great-tasting milk teas and so many options to choose from! They also have a selection of snacks to pair!

5/4. tp tea

Location: 2383 Telegraph Ave

Average price: ~$6-7

Dairy-free option available: Yes; Non-dairy creamer

Atmosphere: Quick, busy and fun

Overall rating: 7.5/10

I couldn’t decide to place Purple Kow or TP Tea at No. 4 or No. 5, so I tied them together. TP Tea has great milky and fruity teas, and boba that always seems to be fresh! This location is always popping. Although a little on the pricey side, TP Tea never fails to disappoint!

3. sharetea

Location: 2328 Telegraph Ave

Average price: ~$5

Dairy-free option available: Yes; made with non-dairy creamer

Atmosphere: Cute, bustling, energetic

Overall rating: 8.5/10

Sharetea is not only known for its relatively low prices but its super convenient location and wide variety of drinks to choose from! I haven’t met a Cal student who has yet to try Sharetea– and if you haven’t, let’s change that! Sharetea is always customized to your liking (i.e. tea, flavor, sweetness, ice) and is perfect for an on-the-go adventure as well as a study date with friends.

2. happy lemon

Location: 2106 Shattuck Ave.

Average price: ~$5-6

Dairy-free option available: Yes

Atmosphere: Sweet, warm, busy

Overall rating: 9/10

Happy Lemon boba milk teas will forever be one of my all-time faves in Berkeley! The milk teas are never overwhelmingly sweet and are consistently giving! The atmosphere is bright and welcoming, and the minimalist decor adds to the overall appeal and vibes. Definitely, a shop to stop by on your way to Trader Joe’s!

1. sweetheart cafe

Location: 2523 Durant Ave.

Average price: $4-5

Dairy-free option available: Yes, many

Atmosphere: Quick, grab-and-go, fun

Overall rating: 9/10

I always seem to find myself running to Sweetheart Cafe when I want to reward myself with a sweet treat for getting out of bed and making it to class! The milk tea is perfectly sweetened and the boba is the right amount of chewy and soft without being starchy. It’s also conveniently located in the Asian Ghetto next to fun restaurants and is always found on Snackpass with multitudes of discounts! 

All of these businesses are great, and I totally recommend you give them a try, despite my preferences!

Clarissa Arceo

UC Berkeley '24

A talented and driven rising senior at UC Berkeley pursuing studies in Media and Journalism. As a first-generation Latina student, I bring a unique perspective to my work and endeavor to be a voice for those who are unheard. With a passion for storytelling and capturing timeless moments, I've found my niche in the world of journalism. I strive to spark conversations, challenge societal norms, and bring awareness to the diverse communities that make up our society. Beyond my journalistic pursuits, I find solace in literature and photography. My love for reading is intertwined with my passion for writing, and I draw inspiration from my Latin heritage to be an authentic voice and advocate for change.