MY FAVORITE CAFES NEAR UC BERKELEY AND THEIR UNIQUE ATTRIBUTES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If you’re anything like me, as we roll into October you may be craving colder days spent in a good cafe doing schoolwork or people-watching. The area around UC Berkeley’s campus has a plethora of options for this, which might be overwhelming if you’re looking for a specific vibe. Want to know how to take advantage of each space? Read on and I’ll tell you! 

Cafe Milano – The food! 

I can’t resist a good sandwich. With their selection of delectable paninis, pastries, and salads, Cafe Milano takes the cake for me with food. This is my go-to when I’m looking for a yummy lunch and need to catch up/study. 

Caffe Strada – Open late 

If you’re craving a sweet snack or tired of the library for any late night assignments, Strada is the place to be! 

The Musical Offering Cafe – The Aesthetic 

Everytime I go to the The Musical Offering Cafe with a friend, we’re transported into the evening cafe scene of Europe. The music, surroundings, and personable staff are sure to make your experience there magical.

Free Speech Movement Cafe – Mood and convenience

Want to go back and forth between cafe and library? Good thing there’s one attached to Moffit Library! 100% of the times that I’ve been to Free Speech, it’s been filled with studying students. Perhaps the influence of other working students will encourage you to complete your own assignments.  

1951 Coffee Company – The drink menu 

1951 has such a fun and delicious drink menu for when you want to try something a little bit different. It also tends to be a bit quieter and slightly secluded. 

Happy fall, and good luck on midterms!

Penelope is a second-year Comparative Literature/Theatre and Performance studies Undergraduate student at the University of California, Berkeley. She currently serves as a Digital Editor for Berkeley’s Her Campus chapter. Having experience with writing, design, performance, and communications, Penelope hopes to merge her creative pursuits and expand accessibility and representation in the artistic world. She enjoys writing articles about emotional experiences/milestones, pop culture, and Jewish life; she also has a newly-discovered passion for reading and editing others’ writing. She is looking towards publishing, nonprofit, or media/film work following graduation. Apart from her studies, she loves to play music (especially in Cal Band!), watch rom-coms and sitcoms, immerse herself in books and creative activities, and enjoy good meals with friends.