Style > Beauty

MOB WIFE AESTHETIC: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TIKTOK’S NEW FAVORITE TREND

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Strawberry makeup, boy pretty, vixen eyes — TikTok is filled with buzzwords that are designed to make you invent a new version of yourself to keep up with trends. Regardless, it can be satisfying to find new ways to style yourself that are also hip and cool. Tired of 2023’s Clean Girl look, TikTok has popularized a new genre that is the complete opposite: Mob Wife Aesthetic.

This look pivots from the recent trend of minimalistic, sleek and slicked back Clean Girl aesthetic into something that is more bold (àla 2016). Inspired by Italian and New York women, this look is for the girls who like fur coats, red lips, and big eyeliner.

Firstly, you need to toss your skin tint for a good full coverage foundation. Try some Fenty Beauty Pro Filtr Soft Matte Foundation, or the Huda Beauty Faux Filter. Then, for contour and concealer, you need to try something that makes your features look sharp and downright menacing. You need your husband and his men to be scared of you. Set your face with powder, and don’t be afraid to do some baking for a long lasting effect. 

Moving on to eyes, we need sharp brows and sharp eyeshadow to match the angles of the rest of the face. To match with the aesthetic, one needs a sultry smokey eye. Pro tip: use creams instead of eyeshadows for an easier blend and to lessen the fallout. You can use liquid eyeliner or gel liner to create your perfect wing (when I die, bury me with my Nyx Epic Ink Liner). Add false lashes or a volumizing mascara to complete the look. For blush, I would recommend a deeper blush to match the lips and what better than Fenty Beauty who claims its Raisin Standardz cream blush is a universal shade. Complete the look with a red lip and setting spray to seal the deal. Another Pro Tip: use a cool toned brown lip liner for a more muted and subtle red lip.

However, it’s important to remember, not every trend is going to suit your personal style, and that’s fine! Trends are just labels people put on something they like. The catchier the label, the faster it spreads through the internet, but it dies down just as quickly as well. In fact, I found out about three new makeup looks while I was researching this article! So don’t fret and keep being you, because that is the coolest you can be!

Fizzah Kayani

UC Berkeley '26

Fizzah is currently a sophomore at UC Berkeley, and a part of the writing and design team at Her Campus Berkeley. She is currently majoring in Data Science and Media Studies. Fizzah has always dabbled in journalism and has been part of numerous e-magazines, both for her writing and photography abilties. She also runs an instagram blog and has partook in debate and drama since highschool. She hopes to enter the film and media industry after graduation to continue her creative journey. In her spare time, Fizzah loves music and film, and is an avid participant of anything 'cat'. Her passions include, Taylor Swift, TV sitcoms and coffee.