teddy bear on a paper airplane
teddy bear on a paper airplane
Illustration by Sabina Brink
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I come from a broken family.  My parents got divorced when I was five and have been fighting ever since. One of my earliest memories is of my mom teaching me the word ‘argument.’ I remember thinking it sounded like ‘guitar.’

Needless to say, I did not grow up with an idea of romantic love to look up to. Although things changed as I got older (I got to see an example of healthy romantic love through my dad and my stepmom), I still found it hard to understand what makes relationships work.  

Moving to Berkeley, I met a whole bunch of new people experiencing different kinds of romantic, sexual, or platonic love. Some were in long-distance relationships that started in high school. Some were going through miserable breakups. Others were learning about love and intimacy like I was: exploring their sexuality, going on Tinder dates, and figuring out what they look for in a partner.

This column will explore the complex facets of love and intimacy among UC Berkeley students. Every two weeks, I will interview a Cal bear and feature their story. I aim to capture the diversity of love and intimacy at Berkeley. Along the way, I hope to mend my broken perception of what love should  — and can  — look like.

If you are a UC Berkeley student with an interesting story about love or intimacy in college and would like to be featured anonymously, you can email me at sabinab8@berkeley.edu.

Sabina Brink

UC Berkeley '23

Sabina is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Philosophy, Comparative Literature and Logic. When she is not reading Philosophy papers, she enjoys reading and writing comic books, going on hikes, skiing, and taking care of her many plants.