March 8th, 2015: International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Many people are not aware that Women’s Day has been celebrated every March since 1911 in Europe! Every year since then, more women and men around the world have increasingly come together to celebrate women’s achievements and voice the ongoing issues that they continue to face. Today we highlight the social, political, and economic progress we’ve made towards gender equality. Throughout the month, there will be several events that will take place on campus to celebrate feminist achievements, while bringing to light the gender inequality and violence issues that still occur and affect women today.

Here are a couple of events on campus that you can participate in to support and celebrate gender equality this month:

March 10: Broadening Our Understandings of Violence: A Panel of Students and Staff Expanding the Narrative of Sexual Violence and Violent Oppression https://www.facebook.com/events/858464904211233/

March 16: RISE! Celebrating Women Community Love and Leadership

https://www.facebook.com/events/1617804151776045/

Another fun way to take part in International Women’s Day is through spreading awareness by wearing purple and using the hashtags: #internationalwomensday, #IWD2015, #MakeItHappen, and #PaintItPurple

Gabriella Cohen-Herrera is an undergraduate Junior at UC Berkeley majoring in Sociology and minoring in English and Disability Studies. She is passionate about being an advocate for marginalized groups through her writings and by ultimately becoming a Disability Rights and Medical Malpractice attorney. In her spare time, she enjoys singing, playing soccer, trying new foods, and learning about various cultures. 
Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.